Locomotive Magazine and Railway Carriage and Wagon
Volume 35 (1929)
Number 437 (15 January 1929)
New 4-6-0 "Hall" class lcomotives Great Western Ry. 1; 2.
illustration, diagram (side & front elevations)
Text begins "To take the place of the 4-4-0 engines which are not able to deal with the long and heavy trains of today". Also somewhat muddled about 6ft driving wheels implying that all Saint class had been so fitted rather than the prototype Saint Martin which is not mentioned. Illustration of No. 4901 Adderley Hall.
Three-cylinder 4-6-0 express locomotive, L. & N.E. Ry. 4-5. illustration,
diagram (side & front elevations)
No. 2800 Sandringham illustrated. Gresley B17 class for services in East Anglia
J.H.B. Jenkins died on 11 December 1928 whilst presiding over meeting at Railway Clearing House when aged 62. Served his time at Swindon under William Dean; after studying chemistry under F.W. Harris, chemist of the GWR he moved onto the chemical laboratory. In 1892 appointed chemist of the Great Eastern Railway in succession to H.J. Phillips who had established a chemical laboratory at Stratford under James Holden. In 1924 Jenkins became chief chemist to the LNER...
R.H. Inness (unattributed): Locomotive history of the Stockton
& Darlington Railway, 1825-1876. 27-8.
0-6-0s Nos. 19 and 20 (latter fitted outside cylinders): Designed James Irving Carson for West Hartlepool Railway: became NER Nos. 1194 and 1192.
T.H. Shields. Train resistance and tractive effort. 29-30. 4 diagrams.
Number 438 (15 February 1929)
Petrol-driven inspection car. Buenos Aires Great Southern Ry. 35-7.
Bogie vehicle built by Drewry Car Co. Ltd with sleeping bunks, lavatory with shower and kitchen. A six-cylinder engine was fitted
Articulated oil-burning locomotives, Southern Pacific Railroad. 37-8.
Cab-in-front 4-8-8-2 Mallet
Shunting engines for docks, London, Midland and Scottish
Ry.. 45. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Outsde-cylinder 0-6-0T with 3ft 11in coupled wheels. This class was built for dock working and had a short wheel base and outside cylinders. Aided by the use of Cartazzi self-centring axleboxes on the rear axle, allowed the locomotive to negotiate curves of 2½ chains.
Geared steam locomotives. 53-6. 3 illustrations, diagram
Paper presented by K.W. Willans of Kerr, Stuart Ltd to the Junior Institution of Engineers describing patented watertube boiler andgeared 0-4-0 locomotive supplied to Balfour Beatty & Co. for the Fort William Hydro Electric contract.
T.H. Shields. Train resistance and tractive effort. 63-4. 4 diagrams.
Number 439 (15 March 1929)
Tank locomotives, Manchester Ship Canal Co. 69. illustration
Two engines supplied by Kitson & Co. Ltd to requirements of W.G. Smith, Mechanical Engineer: 0-6-0T with 18 x26in cylinders, 4ft 6in coupled wheels, 947.13ft2 total heating surface; 18.7ft2 and 180 psi boiler pressure.
H.H. The Pope's Railway. 69
Station opened inside Vatican Walls to receive freight inwards and convey Papal train outwards: train consisted of four saloons one of which was a chapel.
Six-coupled pannier tank engines, Great Western Ry.
70. illustration, diagram (side & front elevations)
Collett 57XX 0-6-0PT
Heavy shunting locomotives for the Indian State Rys. 71-3. 2
illustrations, 2 diagrams (side & front elevations)
Very large 0-8-0 tender engines with outside cylinders and wide fireboxes (akin to American switcher types): two types (both had 4ft 3in coupled wheels): XG with 23½ x 28in cylinders, 2453ft2 evaporative heating surface plus 605ft2 superheat and 41.5ft2 grate area; and XF with 20½ x 28in cylinders, 1699 evaporative heating surface plus 401ft2 superheat and 30.25ft2 grate area.
London & North Eastern Ry. 73
An order has been placed with the English Electric Co. Ltd. for diesel-electric loc omotive equipment comprising Beardmore 1000 h.p high speed engine driving a 675 kw electric generator and a 10 kw auxiliary generator together with complete control equipment. "We understand" to be installed in Raven 4-6-4 No. 13. Proposed use to haul freight at 20 mile/h.
Isle of Man Ry. 73
Frederick Joseph Vaughan to succeed James Bradshaw as locomotive, carriage & wagon superintendent.
R.H. Inness (unattributed): Locomotive history of the Stockton
& Darlington Railway, 1825-1876. 94-5. 2 illustrations, diagram (side
Hopkins, Gilkes & Co. supplied 15 0-6-0 mineral engines between 1865 and 1868: WN 219-230; 248-50. They lasted until the 1900s. Table gives full details of NER numbers, scrapping dates, etc. Photographs show locomotives in NER state.
Inness, R.H. (unattributed): Locomotive history of the Stockton & Darlington Railway, 1825-1876. 112.
Wood's patent vacuum braking device for locomotives.
119-20. 2 diagrs. (incl. s. el.).
Fitted to Great Southern Railways "Woolwich" 2-6-0s.
Household, H.G.W. Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Ry.
Next par see page 180.
Number 442 (15 June 1929)
A replica of "The Rocket". 171-2. illustration.
Constructed by Robert Stephenson & Co. on behalf of Henry Ford for the Mechanical Museum in Detroit.
The Bramhope Tunnel, L.N.E. Ry. 172. illustration. (and Supplement)
The Supplement (not with copy inspected) shows Z1 Class Atlantic approaching tunnel from south on a steep (1 in 94) gradient on a heavy Liverpool to Newcastle express. Text notes that the Leeds & Thirsk Railway opened on 9 July 1849; that Bramhope Tunnel is 2 miles 243 yards in length, that Thomas Grainger was the Engineer and James Gray, the contractor. There was a serious accident with severe loss of life (thirty died). An illustration shows a memorial in the form of the tunnel entrance in Otley Churchyard.
Railway exhibition at Delhi. 172.
Organized in New Dehli by the Publicity Department of the Indian State Railways. Included the Fairy Queen supplied to the East India Railway in 1857, an XC Class Pacific, a new 0-6-6-0 electric locomotive, and modern rolling stock.
4-8-0 locomotives Buenos Aires Central Ry. 173. illustration.
Supplied by Kerr Stuart to requirements of Oscar Jaette, Locomotive Superintendent and J.H. Bance, consulting engineer..
Institute of Transport Congress. 173.
Held at Grand Hotel, Harrogate, 9-11 May. Four papers presented: Characteristic fearures of the transport facilities of the North Eastern Area of the L. & N.E. Ry. by Thomas Hornsby, Divisional General Manager; Influences affecting transport development and efficiency by E.G.E. Beaumont; Internal air services and overseas connections by I.A. Edwards; and Trade and transport prospects on thje North-East Coast by R. Bell, Assistant General Manager, L. & N.E. Ry.
Metre-gauge tank locomotive for H.E.H. the Nizam's Guaranteed Rys. 174-5.
4-6-4T supplied by Beyer, Peacock under supervision of Rendel, Palmer & Tritton.
Locomotives for the Singapore Naval Base Contract. 175. 2 illustrations.
Avonside Engine Co. order for eleven metre-gauge outside-cylinder 0-6-0ST for Sir John Jackson Ltd, contractors. One photograph shows three locomotives loaded onto GWR boiler wagons in transit to docks.
Narrow gauge locomotives for the Nepal Government. 176. illustration. .
Avonside Engine Co 0-6-2T for 2ft 6in gauge: outside cylinders and frames.
Locomotive firebars. 176-7.
Life varied from three months to two years: longest on shunting locomotives, least on express passenger engines. Life was influenced by length of the bar, its shape (fish-bellied showed some advantage), fusion of impurities in fuel onto bars, deterioration in physical properties (cast iron inherently brittle), and too close placement.
Southern Ry., Isle of Wight Section. 177.
Beyer Peacock No. W13 Ryde and W16 Wroxhall fitted with steam heat fittings for working Bembridge branch.
Early South Australian Railway locomotives. 177. 2 illustrations.
2-4-0 No. 1 Adelaide (originally a 2-4-0T) supplied by William Fairbairn in 1855 which worked first train in South Australia and Avonside 2-4-0T No. 14 of 1865 (possibly originally supplied to New Zealand see Locomotive 15 September 1920).
Great Western Ry. 177.
New locomotives: 4920 Dumbleton Hall, 4921 Eaton Hall, 4922 Enville Hall, 4923 Evenly Hall, 4924 Eyden Hall and 4925 Eynsham Hall.
Conversion of 2-8-0 type goods tender engines into 0-8-0 shunting tank engines,
Nigerian Ry. 178-9. 2 illustrations, 2 diagrams. (side & front
Rebuilding under M.P. Sells, Chief Mechanical Engineer, at Ebute-Metta shops. 2-8-0s supplied by Hawthorn Leslie in 1908. Rebuilds used for work wharves during ground nut season.
Indian Rys. 179.
Several new extensions and connecting links had recently been opened. The Mysore Ry. had been extended to Shimoga, the last section of the Villupuram-Trichinopoly line of the S.I. Ry. has been completed and a portion of the Central India Coalfields Ry., about 116 miles long, had opened. This broad gauge line was built to the new standards of the Railway Board for heavy traffic. The new portion of the Victoria terminus, Bombay, had been opened by the Governor of Bombay. The "Grand Trunk Express" service between Peshawar and Mangalore via Delhi, Itarsi, Nagpur, Kazipet, Bezwada and Madras commenced running on April 1.
L. & N.E. Ry. 179.
Pacific type engines then worked north of Edinburgh as far as Dundee, over the Forth and Tay bridges. New 0-6-0 goods engines, J39 class, completed at Darlington Nos. 2728 to 2731. New Sentinel rail cars, Umpire and Eagle, are at Sunderland, Woodpecker and Courier at Tyne Dock, and Cleveland at Heaton. '.
Electric mining locomotives. 180. illus.
Supplied to mines in China by Greenwood & Batley Ltd, Albion Works, Leeds. 18 inch gauge.
Household, H.G.W. Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Ry.
180-2. 5 illus.
This part continued from page 161. The original stock was described in Locomotive, 1899, 4, 184.
Original locomotives: 0-6-0T Portishead built Robert Stephenson in 1887 ran as 2-4-0T and two 2-2-2T built Sharp Stewart in 1857 and 1866 for Furness Railway. Colour was crimson lake lined vermilion and black. At that time locomotives painted several shades of green. No. 2 Portishead (illustrated)(Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST WN 1134/1890) delivered to Logan & Hemingway (their No. 11, used in construction of Beighton and Chesterfield section of MSLR; sold in 1898 to Naylor Bros who possibly used it on constructing Buxton to Parsley Hay and Ashbourne to Parsley Hay lines. Sold in 1907 to Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway. Subsequently resold for contract work and replaced by a Terrier. Manning Wardle used by William Cowlin & Son in construction of Portishead power station. A Hudswell Clarke (WN 823/1908) outside-cylinder 0-6-ST named Walton Park, used on Shropshire & Montgomreryshire Railway and from 1913 sold to East Kent Railway (see Locomotive, 1917, 23, 133; 176).
Locomotives in service in 1929: No. 1 Clevedon (illustrated)(Dubs WN 1222/1879 supplied to Jersey Railway); rebuilt by Avonside in 1906 and sent to Clevedon. No. 2 Portishead (illustrated)(A1X Stroudley Terrier No. 643 Gipsy Hill) sold by Southern Railway in 1926. No. 3 Weston (illustrated): Manning Wardle inside-cylinder 0-6-0ST (WN 731/1881). Originally supplied to J.M. Smith of Bury and named Resolute. Subsequently used by Burry Port & Gwendreath Valley Railway, Yniscedwyn Colliery (South Wales Anthracite Colliery Co.) and Gabbutt & Co. of Huddersfield. No. 4 Hesperus (illustrated) Sharp Stewart 2-4-0T WN 2578/1875 sold to Watlington and Princes Risborough Railway. Became GWR No. 1384 and sold in about 1911. Locomotive 1911, 17, 230 stated that reboilered in 1899. No. 5 was a Manning Wardle inside-cylinder 0-6-0ST WN 1970/1919 (see also Locomotive, 1919, 25, 63). For a time Kent and East Sussex Railway outside-cylinder 2-4-0T No. 2 Northiam used on WC&PR: see also Locomotive, 1919, 25, 63.
Seattle and Vancouver train, Great Northern Ry., U.S.A. 183. illus.
Between the cities of Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia, a distance of 155 miles, the Great Northern Ry. Coast line affords the most direct route. The photograph reproduced was taken at Bellingham, Washington, by M.F. Jukes, and shows one of the day trains en route. The locomotive was a 4-6-2 Pacific simple locomotive with superheater and Belpaire firebox, and burnt oil fuel. Main dimensions listed.
London, Midland & Scottish Ry. (L. & N.W. Section). 183.
No. 9516 is the latest 0-8-0 standard superheater freight engine to be completed at Crewe. The second of the series, No. 9501, sent to Toton for trial. New 2-6-0 mixed traffic engines ex Horwich working from Crewe South shed bore numbers 13110-1. These engines were first of series of twenty and formed part of 1929 programme. The following 0-6-2 side tank coal engines have been fitted with vacuum control gear for working motor trains: Nos. 7709, 7725 and 7797. Xn addition to the two "George the Fifth's," which. appeared a little while back, there are now quite a number of "Princes" in service painted black with red lines, including Nos. 5619, 5641, 5644, 5670, 5754 and 5806.
"Claughton" class 4-6-O's Nos. 5861, 5982 and 6026 had been fitted with increased brake power, while "Prince of Wales" class No. 5670 and "Experiment" class No. 5547 were altered for working over the Midland division. Wolverton carriage department 0-4-2 crane engines, Nos. 2 and 5, had been broken up at Crewe. Although the first of the class to be scrapped, there are still six others in service at Crewe works, Nos. 3246-9 and 3251-2. Other recent scraps include DX. class 0-6-0 No. 8014 and two ex N.S. Ry. "100" class 0-6-0s, Nos. 8667 and 8671.
Metropolitan-Vickers Electrical Co. Ltd., Trafford Park, Manchester, illustrated
Dealt with various British electrification schemes. The Southern and Metropolitan are described, as well as the Underground Electric with interior views of several sub-stations. The L.M. & S. Ry. with its London, Liverpool and Heysham services; the L. & N.E. Ry. and its Newcastle area services; the Mersey Ry. and, the recently completed Swansea and Mumbles electrifications are dealt with. Particulars of the electric locomotives and the power stations are given. At the end is a list of apparatus which the firm manufacture, whilst a large map showing the electrified railways of London and the surrounding districts and lines in conrse of electrification, is included.
North Sunderland Ry. 183.
Standard gauge line, 4½ miles in length, "is likely to be taken over by the L. & N.E. Ry." It connected the fishing village of Seahouses with the LNER main line at Chathill, and was worked by a single locomotive, and there were nine employees.
Technical essays. No. XXXIV On mileages and their computation. 184.
Overview of methodology adopted.
C.R.C. Hart [obituary]. 184.
Chairman and Managing Director of Dermantine: manufacturer of seals.
Inness, R.H. (unattributed): Locomotive history
of the Stockton & Darlington Railway, 1825-1876. 185-6. 4
Previous part page 112. Engines Nos. 207, 208, 210, 211 and 223 (Hawthorn) see page 112: extensively rebuilt in early 1880s. These locomotives received Worsdell boilers Remaining Hawthorn locomotives received few major modifications. Nos. 207-218 and 221-225 were best of Bouch mineral engines..
[Restoration of former Midland Railway locomotives]. 186.
The last S.W. Johnson "single" of the former Midland Ry., LMS No. 673 repainted at Derby in its original style, i.e., M.R. on tender and buffer beam and the old number "118" on the cab side sheet. Kirtley goods engine No. 2385, built by Kitson in 1856, had been similarly treated and was No. 421.
London & North Eastern Ry. 186
The second series of eight "Shire" class 4-4-0 passenger engines completed at Darlington Works: Nos. 2753 Cheshire, 2754 Rutlandshire, 2755 Berkshire, 2756 Selkirkshire, 2757 Dumfries-shire, 2758 Northumberland, 2759 Cumberland and 2760 Westmorland.
South African Rys. 186.
Mr. A.G. Watson has been appointed chief mechanical engineer. A native of the Cape Province, Mr. Watson served an apprenticeship from 1895 with Neilson & Co., of Glasgow. In 1928 he was appointed assistant chief mechanical engineer of the S.A. Rys.
New electro-pneumatic brakes on the Underground Electric Railways. 187.
Westinghouse Brake & Saxby Signal Co.
Rail motors von the South Eastern & Chatham Ry. 187.
See also April Issue. First car was specially built for Sheppey Light Railway. Total of eight vehicles: in addition to lines mentioned also worked Woodside to South Croydon, local Hastings to Rye service and Chatham Centraal branch. G.L. Gundry (who supplied info) travelled from Hastings to Rye in 1916 and noted very low speeds on steep gradients. L.P. Quested noted that Birchington to Ramsgate Harbour service operated by one of the cars in 1912 an 1913.
Baxter, B. Peak Forest Tramway. 188-90. 6 illus.
Abstract of paper presented to Stephenson Locomotive Society.
Canadian Notes. 190.
Parallel running on sections of CPR and CNR between Toronto and Montreal, especially between Cobourg and Trenton.
Recent "Beyer-Garratt" locomotives for South America. 191-3. 2
2-6-2+2-6-2 for Guayaquil & Quito Railway, Ecuador: 3ft 6in gauge. 4-8-2+2-8-4 for Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway.
Locomotives from India. 193. illustration.
Thomas W. Ward (of Sheffield) purchase of standard gauge locomotives built by Hawthorn Leslie (0-4-0STs), Avonside (0-4-0STs) and Manning Wardle (0-6-0STs) for a large contract for improving sanitation in Bombay. Shipped to Tilbury on motor-ship Beldis.
Brake and baggage van, International Sleeping Car Co. 194-5. diagram (side
Bogie vehicle designed to carry passenbgers' luggage in containers and act as brake van for Golden Arrow service between Paris and Calais.
Memomorial Tablet to Matthew Murray. 195. illustration.
Matthew Murray has been called the Father of Leeds Engineering. The memorial is in the form of a bronze tablet affixed to the wall of a factory in Water Lane, Leeds, on the site of the Round Foundry built by Fenton, Murray & Wood. The Lord Mayor of Leeds (Alderman D.B. Foster) unveiled the tablet on 8 May 1919 and in his speech described Murray as one of the greatest preparers for the present mechanical age. Mr. E. Kilburn Scott, chairman and secretary of the memorial fund, narrated the life work of Murray and explained the outstanding events of his career. To Murray belonged the credit of building the first successful steam locomotives in the world in 1811. These ran on the Blenkinsop rack-railway between Leeds and the Middleton Colliery from 1812 to 1835. Lieut.-Col. E. Kitson Clark, who was present at the unveiling as vice-president of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and as representing the Newcomen Society, said that his grandfather was bitten by the idea of making locomotives, and he represented the third generation making them. Murray was undoubtedly very much ahead of his time, and was the embodiment of the courageous, common-sensed, able, determined, dogged, practical, and at the same time, imaginative genius which constituted the British character. When they realised that in the City Square there was a statue of James Watt, and their own man of .Leeds was left out, it was time to rectify the omission. To complete the memorial, another tablet is to be erected at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London, a prize fund is to be formed at the Leeds Technical College, and copies are to be made of Murray's models in the Science Museum, South Kensington, for the Leeds City Museum.
Pullman cars from Paddington to Plymouth Docks. 195
On Friday, 10 May 1929 the Great Western Ry. ran a train of six Pullman cars from Paddington to Plymouth Docks and back as a trial: the train consisted of the three first-class cars, Ansonia, Plato, Thelma, and three third-class cars. The train, headed by No. 4073 Caerphilly Castle, left Paddington at 09.15 and ran non-stop to Millbay Docks, the journey occupying four hours. The return journey also took four hours, Paddington being reached just after 19.00. Officials from Paddington and the Pullman Car Co. travelled with the train.
Poultney, E.C. Modern express locomotives. 196-200. 4 illus., 5
Both the 4-6-4 and 4-8-4 wheel arrangements offered very material advantages over the 4-6-2 and 4-8-2 types. The value of the four-wheeled truck as a means of decreasing individual rear axle loading and providing smooth running was investiated by C.T. Ripley, chief mechanical engineer of the Santa Fé
The Crewe dinner. 201.
Combined pressure gauges. 201.
Early English built locomotives for the United States. 202-3.
Number 444 (15 August 1929)
New 0-8-0 mineral locomotives, London, Midland & Scottish
Ry.. 239-40. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Fowler design: 100 then being constructed at Crewe Works: No. 8500 illustrated. Notes similarities to LNWR G2 type.
Charles R. King., The home of Richard Trevithick. 242-3.
At Penponds near Camborne in Cornwall
Long non-stop run on the L.M. & S. Ry.
On 21 July 1929 from Glenboig to Euston, 395½ miles, when coal distillery owned by Bussey Coal Distillation Co. was opened. The train was hauled by Royal Scot No. 6127 Novelty and arrived 6 minutes early.