The Locomotive Magazine and Railway Carriage
and Wagon Review
Volume 45 (1939)
Number 557 (14 January)
Towards greater speed of service. 1-2
"The Green Howard" London & North Eastern Railway.
No. 4806 The Green Howard is illustrated to show the external linkage for the multiple valve regulator header. Leading dimensions are repeated.
The Rock Island "Rockets". 3-4. illustration
Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway: Electro-Motive Corporation locomotive with 1200hp Winton diesel two-stroke engine capable of 117 mile/h running with Budd welded steel articulated cars with sponge rubber seating.The cars are fitted with electric-pneumatic brakes, with a four-speed retardation control in the leading car, and automatic slack adjusters are provided to allow for wearing of the wheels and brake shoes. Flexible diaphragms fill the spaces between the car bodies, giving an unbroken surface from the nose of the locomotive to the tail of the observation car. The cars are finished in bright stainless steel outside, while the locomotive is treated in maroon and vermilion, with bands and lettering of stainless steel. The steel used in the construction of the cars varies in tensile strength from 100,000 to 150,000 lb. A four-car train contains 209 seats, including 32 dining seats, and weighs 150 tons without the locomotive unit. At present the·' 'Rockets" are in operation on five different routes, giving day services in an cases. Runs between Chicago and Peoria and Chicago and Des Moines are made by two four- car sets. On the three remaining services, Kansas City-Des Moines-Minneapolis, Kansas City-Dallas, and Fort Worth-Houston, four three-car units are employed. The Fort Worth-Houston service is worked jointly with the Chicago-Burlington and Quincy Railroad, the Rock Island "Rocket" working alternate runs with one of the Burlington "Zephyr" trains.
Institution of Locomotive Engineers. Wear resistance of ferrous
On 14 December Messrs. W. West and C. C. Hodgson presented a paper on the above subject before the Institution in London. The brief extract is on the ILocoE page for Paper 398.
E.A. Phillipson. The steam locomotive in traffic. IV. Locomotive
depot equipment. 6-9. 2 illustrations, 3 diagrams
Wheel drops and locomotive hoists; manufactured by Ransomes & Rapier Ltd.
The Railway Club. 9.
P.B. Ellison talk on the Hay Railway, 1810-1863 presented in London at the Royal Scottish Corporation Hall.
Bengal N.W. Rly. 9
Order for 6 YB metre gauge 4-6-2 locomotives placed with Vulcan Foundry
Irish notes. 10-11. 3 illustrations
Commission to investigate Transport in Northern Ireland proposed that the Northern Ireland Road Transport Board, the Northern Counties Committee and Belfast & County Down Railway should merge and enter into a pooling agreement with the Great Nortthern Railway (Ireland). The BCDR should lose its separate identity. Transport provision in Ulster was greatly in excess of its needs.
On the NCC No. 23 (2-4-0) and No. 31 (0-6-0) had been retained inservice, but Nos. 51 and 57 had been scrapped making the C1 class 2-4-0 compound class extinct. 0-6-0 Nos. 30, 43 and 44 had been scrapped. 2-4-0 Nos. 45, 46, 51 and 57 had been scrapped and class F1 became extinct
V class 0-6-0 No. 13 had received the reconditioned boiler from No. 72 and had been painted black with the LMS crest on the cabside: the first NCC black locomotive.
On the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee 4-6-0T Nos. 4-9; 4-4-4T Nos. 10-11 and 2-4-0T Nos. 1-3 had been scrapped and the remaining stock had been renumbered.
Phoenix was described as a diesel tractor. It had been built as a steamer by Atkinson-Walker for the Clogher Valley Railway in 1928 and had been purchased by the County Donegal and fitted with a Gardner 2 L6 diesel engine in 1932. It worked between Stranolar and Strabane with one man in charge.
The last relics of the Dublin & Lucan Electric Railway was being lost through road widening.
Societe des Ingenieurs Civils de France (British
Brief description of paper presented by O.V.S. Bulleid entitled Modern long distance high speed trains in Great Briatin on 27 May 1938 in Paris wherein he described the Cheltenham Flyer, Bristolian, Silver Jubilee, Coronation and Coronation Scot and noted the problems of braking them, but punctuality had been extremely good.
Eastern Section electrification, L.N.E.R. 11-12.
Leadhills and Wanlockhead Light Railway. 12. illustration
Closure 2 January 1939. Photograph by A.C.W. Lowe of former CR 0-4-4T No. 15238 (with spark arrester) at Wanlockhead
Ray McBrain. The Magnaflux method of testing and inspection. 13-14. 4 illustrations
A.C.W. Lowe. The West Cornwal Railway. 15-18. 4 illustrations, 3
Until 1852 W. Bruton was the resident engineer and his responsibilities included locomotives. J.D. Sheriff officiated at the Carn Brea repair shops and Slater was succeeded by H. Appleby. When the South Devon Railway took over the locomotive stock became the responsibility of J. Wright. Three locomotives were taken over from the Hayle Railway: Cornubia, Carn Brea and Penzance. Coryndon was purchased from Chanter who had worked the line under contract. A 2-2-2 with smoke eliminator was constructed at Carn Brea from parts supplied by Stothert & Slaughter, brought by sea from Bristol to Hayle and thence conveyed by road. It was assembled by Joseph Ramsden under the supervision of Slater. In 1851 it was named Penzance, was changed to Hayle in 1858 and survived until 1860 and was not cut up until 1866
D[ewhurst], P.C. L.M.S.R. locomotives: a history of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway.18-20. 2 illustrations, 2 tables
Locomotives in Hyde Park, London. 20. illustration
In 1869-70 used in association with cleaning the Serpentine used by the contrctor Jay & Co.
J.L. Koffmann. Railcar operation at high altitudes. 21-3. illustration, 2 diagrams, table.
Institution of Locomotive Engineers. 23
Some "improved" locomotive valve gears. 24-6. 4
Berthe gear exhibited in Paris in 1900; the Durant and Lencauchez gears described in Locomotive Mag. in 1914 (December) and 1915 (February); the Bonneford gear and J.T. Marshall gear as fitted to Maunsell 2-6-0
L.I. Sanders. Carriage and wagon design and construction. II Carriage and wagon underframes. 26-8. illustration, 2 diagrams.
Number 558 (15 February1939)
Cast steel frames. 31.
The cast steel frame began to displace the forged bar frame in American locomotive practice about 1908. The reasons for this and previous changes may be briefly reviewed as illustrating the progress made in frame construction in that country.
The bar frame was originally introduced in the United States because no facilities existed for producing plates suitable for frames, whereas a smith of average skill was capable of forging a frame from bars. This frame never could lay claim to simplicity but was found in practice to possess certain advantages although expensive to make and repair.
The forged frame was displaced by the cast steel frame which in its original form consisted of cast steel side members, generally resembling the forged members they succeeded, independent cylinders, cross-ties, etc., being retained. At this juncture, 'it is of interest to note that where separate sides are still utilised the bar frame is sometimes produced by flame cutting from a solid steel slab; in this process the slab after straightening' is heated to between 400°F. and 600°F. and held at this temperature during the cutting process, being afterwards normalised. The present development of the cast steel frame has resulted from much research and may fairly be claimed to ha ve radically affected locomotive design, and as a corollary construction and maintenance. This type of frame is usually referred to as a "bed" and may vary between the compara- tively simple one-piece steel casting, comprising the sides and cross braces, as introduced in 1924, to the modern bed consisting of sides, cross braces, cylinders, back cylinder covers, inside steam pipes, smokebox saddle, sundry brackets, brake hangers, etc., constituting one of the most elabo- rate steel castings ever manufactured. At first sight it may appear that excessive weight must be associated with this form of construction, but this is not the case as the metal may be propor- tioned subject to the stresses involved-a procedure largely impracticable with the bar or plate frame. The obvious advantages are reduced maintenance and greater freedom in design.
There are many comparatively modern locomo- tives at work to-day which are in frequent need of frame repairs and alignment, cylinders tightening, etc.-troubles which cannot arise with the cast bed.
That the claim for reduced maintenance is amply substantiated would appear from the fact that railways in some countries are prepared to import these beds, although the cost is considerably increased by duties.
In addition to this type of construction being used on some of the largest steam locomotives, e.g., the Baltimore and Ohio 4-4-4-4 engines, (the bed of which has four integral cylinders), and the Southern Pacific 4-8-8-2 articulated locomotives (having a bed for each unit), the one-piece cast bed is also utilised for Electric and Diesel locomotives. Representative of the former are those incorporated in the Pennsylvania Class GG-1 electric passenger locomotives, while some of the latter have the fuel-oil and water tanks cast integral. The type of construction under review is definitely established and one firm alone has sup- plied upwards of 1,650 cast beds to some 40 rail- ways operating on the American and Australian Continents; further, the use of these is by no means confined to new construction as they have been applied to literally hundreds of rebuilt engmes. .
So far locomotive builders in this Country, while no doubt generally interested in these frames, have refrained from incorporating them or producing them, but the time has come when the production facilities must be reviewed.
Fashions in locomotive practice may not change frequently, but when change is decided upon it is usually and necessarily sudden. As an example we may cite the etherlands Railways; for many years Holland was looked upon as a stronghold of British practice and plate frames were as a consequence used, but when new locomotives were supplied in 1929 bar frames made their appearance. It is probable that an enquiry from an overseas market may before long contain a stipulation that a cast bed must be incorporated.
While locomotive builders need not necessarily produce such units themselvesand in America many are produced and machined by steel founders and supplied to builders-it would, we think, be opportune to ascertain, and if necessary assure, that facilities are available here for the production of such castings. It would also be advantageous to look over machine-shop equipment, as although the machining required is far less than on a frame assembled from components, the setting-up and machining of such a large casting obviously presents problems to shops hitherto dealing only with the smaller components. of plate or bar frames.
South African Railways, new Beyer-Garratt locomotives. 32-3. illustration.
Part of an extensive replacement programme, sixteen Beyer-Garratt locomotives with the 4-8-2 + 2-8-4 wheel arrangement had been supplied by Beyer, Peacock and Co. Ltd. of Manchester. Among many features was the provision of an auxiliary water tank (not shown in illustration). This was necessary in order to keep the max. axle weight down to 15 tons; even this is a higher loading than normally permissible and was conceded conditionally on the weight usually placed on the bogies being reduced, together with a restriction in reciprocating balance. These engines were believed to be the most powerful ever placed on 60 lb. rails and were intended to work on the Johannesburg-Zeerust-Mafeking line; with long grades as steep as 1 in 40 in addition to curves as sharp as 477 ft. radius. The comparatively large wheel diameter of 4 ft. 6 in. was decided upon with a view to reducing maintenance costs and to permit of the use of these locomotives on passenger trains. For an engine of 3 ft. 6 in. gauge the boiler was of exceptional size, but despite this the centre is only 8 ft. 6 in. above rail level. Although a new type, these engines contain many details and parts interchangeable with those of other recent classes. A smart appearance has resulted from leaving the planished steel covering of the boiler unpainted and the use of stainless steel crinoline bands, hand rails and cylinder covers. On test these engines have handled trains of 750 tons, and it is anticipated that their use will increase the capacity of the line by approximately 50 per cent.
Departure of the "Coronation Scot" to America. 33
The M.S. Belpamela left Southampton Docks on Thursday, 26 Jan.. Two special trains, one composed of the engine and the 'Other of the coaches, made a midnighrt: journey from Willesden Junction direct to Southampton Docks, arriving there in the early hours of January 19. The engine did not travel under her own steam, but was hauled dead with connecting-rods and other gear packed up securely for the 2,000 miles sea journey. The coaches, covered with a coating of wax to protect them from exposure, and a1l movable fitments securely lashed, formed a separate train. The engine and tender were lifted by the ship's derricks into .the hold, and the coaches, lashed and screw-coupled, were carried on deck. The Belpamela was expected to reach Baltimore, her port of entry into the United States, on or about 14 Feb. Immediately on arrival the train will be assembled at the Baltimore shops of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and, after a trial run, will start on her 3,121 miles American tour prior to exhibition at the World's Fair, New York.
It was stated in our Irish Notes last month that the proposed capital of the new Northern Ireland Transport Merger was the sum of four million pounds. This figure, however, only refers to the existing capital liabilities of the Northern Ireland Road Transport Board, and the capital of the new body will be considerably greater.
Institution of Locomotive Engineers. Diesel train with multiple
axle drives. 33-4.
Resume of paper by Haworth and Horbuckle Paper No. 400: reproduced thereat
Additional 2-8-0 standard freight engines (Class 8) recently turned out at Crewe were Nos. 8098-8103. Of this series the first five engines, Nos. 8096-8100, had been allocated to the Midland division. The series of twenty 4-6-0 mixed traffic engines recently completed at Crewe were now all in service in the Northern division, Nos. 5452-5471 inclusive. The first ten went to the Highland section, whilst two of the others, Nos. 5469 and, 5470, were at Edinburgh. No. 5515 of the three-cylinder 4-6-0 Patriot class had been named Caernarvon. The following ex L.N.W. G1 class 0-8-0s had been converted to class G2 and had the power classification raised from 6 to 7: -Nos. 8905, 9114, 9281, and 9392. These engines were fitted with standard Belpaire boilers. Recent withdrawals on the Western Division include the following ex-L. N. W. engines :-4-4-0 Nos. 25322 F. S. P. Wolferstan, 25357 Bassethound (George V class) ; 4-6-0 Nos. 25756, 25802 (Prince of Wales class); 4-4-2 Tank Nos. 6806, 6826. One of the ex-C.R. Pugs was at Crewe to await scrapping, No. 16004. The latest 2-6-4 passenger tank ex Derby was No. 2652. Recent withdrawals included ex-M.R. 2-4-0s Nos. 20092, 20238, 20267; and 0-4-4 tanks Nos. 1228 and 1392.
"The Coronation Scot" [for the] New York World's Fair, 1939. 35-9. 7 illustrations, plan.
A centenary of Austrian locomotive practice. F. Gaiser. 62
In the articles, "A Century of Austrian Locomotive Practice" (May, July, Sept. and October of Locomotive Mag.), the Hall system is frequently alluded to. As this system is somewhat intricate, it is excusable if inaccuracies 'have crept in. As to the first of Hall's innovations, Derens correctly states on page 368 of the November issue that they were started in Munich and not in Austria. He also describes the "Lagerhalskurbel" (journal or bearing crank) in such a lucid manner that nothing can be added. There are, however, some other points which need to be corrected. Joseph Hall left England, where he is said to have collaborated with Robert Stephenson, for Bavaria in 1840, and became locomotive engineer of the Muenchen and Augsburg Rail-way. He soon won the full confidence of Joseph Anton von Maffei who was general manager of the M. & A. Rly., and when this gentleman decided to build locomotives in his own works at Hirschau near Munich, he appointed Hall as works manager, Maffei himself being merely a financier not an engineer. During his stay with Maffei, Hall brought out his two patents which so greatly influenced the locomotive building in Southern Germany, especially in Bavaria, and later on in Austria, viz. : (a) The patent of 1853, concerning his eccentric crank, and (b) That of 1856, concerning his journal crank, both referring to outside framed outside cylindered locomotives only, the object being to put the eccentric outside the frames without resorting to Crampton's return crank which would have, made the engine too broad. For this purpose the two eccentrics, wrought in one piece, were forged on to the inside of the crank web, the connecting rod in this case being always nearer to the engine centre than the coupling rods, thus holding the cylinder distances at a tolerable distance. With this device, the eccentrics could not be altered in their relative position to each other, nor in that to the axle, and this might theoretically seem a defect; nevertheless, the engines worked excellently in practice and were great favourites with the men. The eccentric cranks were only practicable on single and hind coupled engines, therefore when the Bavarian State Railways ordered two experimental engines in 1856, one a 0-4-0 and the other a 0-6-0 engine, Hall had to take out a fresh patent for his journal crank. The invention was not entirely new because one had been shown at the Paris Exhibition of 1855 on an engine for the Paris-Sceaux Railway. In most of the 0-6-0 coupled engines of the second Hall system the motion was entirely inside the frames ; there were, however, a certain number of locomotives, especially in Austria and Russia, where loading gauges are more liberal, which had return cranks for the eccentrics as well as Hall's journal cranks. Such an engine is shown on p. 285 (Brenner Rly., drawing and photo.), but the return crank as such has nothiing to do with Hall's patents. It is and remains Crampton's invention and has never been claimed by Hall. When in 1858 Hall went to Austria as works manager of W. Guenher's locomotive works at Wiener-Neustadt, there immediatly followed an increased demand for locomotives construted on his patents for Austria, Hungary, Russia and even ermany. Hall left Wiener-Neustadt in 1860 to superintend the rail-rolling mills of the Southern Ry. at Graz, yet the demand for his locomotive system remained unabated for several decades. The number of 257 engines with Hall's journal cranks as given on page 368 of the November issue refers only to 2-4-0 locomotives built for Austrian railways. The number of 0-6-0 engines with such cranks must have reached two thousand at least, considering that the Hungarian State Railways alone had about seven hundred besides, there were many in Austria, Bavaria, and on certain Prussian and Russian railways.
An interesting variety had grown up in Prussia, a 2-4-0 passenger engine with Hall journal cranks for the driving axle only, 199 in all (see Helmholtz and Staby p. 182/3). From 1867 onwards some of the Austrian railways with-drew from the Hall system without abandoning the outside frame, and built their engines with ordinary cranks. The two upper pictures on p. 360 of the November issue show engines of this latter description. If they had had Hall cranks described in the patent of 1856, there would be no place for fastening an eccentric (for working a feed pump) between the frame and the crank. In these cases the cylinder dis-tance was excessive ; but this seemed preferable to the fre-quent breakages of the Hall cranks. Engines with Hall's eccentric cranks were scarcely less numerous than those with journal cranks, but at the time of the Vienna Exposition (1873) the name of the inventor com-pletely vanished so that Hall addressed a' letter to the editor of "Engineering" to assert his authorship ("Engineering," 1873, p. 349). In former volumes of the "Locomotive" two engines with eccentric cranks, both built by Maffei, were illustrated, the one in Vol. VIII (1903, I p. 375) and the other in Vol. IX (1903, II) p. 102.
D. A. Low's Pocket book for mechanical engineers. 1938. Longmans,
Green and Co. Ltd.
Well known pocket book is so wide in its scope that any attempt to describe its contents is unnecessary. Many of the tables have been revised and corrected and further data included concerning weights, rolled sections, ball and roller bearings, gearing, fuels etc. In all about 240 pages have been added to and altered. The section dealing with proportions of machines and machine details is still a special feature.
The Railway Handbook. The Railway Publishing Co. Ltd.
This useful handbook of 96 pp. 'summarizes data concern-ing the world's railways and contains essential facts relating to their history and present day organisation.
Torsional Vibration J. Law. London: The Draughtsman Publishing
The cause and effect of vibration in machinery is a subject of great importance to many engineers, and it is likely the in-formation in this 58-page booklet will assist many in preparing their calculations.
Mechanical World Year Book, 1939.London : Emmott and
52nd edition of this useful publication contains, as usual, sections on a wide range of subjects met with in work-shop and general engineering practice, all of which have been subjected to detailed revision where necessary. A new feature is the inclusion of concise tabular information on the properties and preparatory treatment of alloyed metals. In view of the now widespread use of these the details given will be much appreciated.
Number 559 (15 March1939)
Design and maintenance. 63
All-steel buffet car. Victorian Railways. 64-6. 2 illustrations
Air-conditioned car named Wimmera on 17.00 down and 08.15 Albury Express
Diesel railcar, L.M.S. Northern Counties Committee. 66. diagram (side
& front elevations), plan
Driven by two Leyland Motors 10 litre diesel engines; drive through a torque converter. Seating for eighty passengers, Driver located in turret. Capable of hauling a trailer.
Phillipson, E.A. The steam locomotive in traffic. IV. Locomotive depot equipment. 67-9. 4 illustrations
L.N.E.R. Royal Train, Bishop AucklandKings Cross near North Road station, Darlington, 23 February 1939. Engine No. 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley. (J.W. Armstrong). 69. illustration
P.C. D[ewhurst], L.M.S.R. locomotives: a history of the Somerset
and Dorset Joint Railway. 70-2. 5 illustrations, diagram (side elevation)
0-6-0ST and 0-6-0 No. 1
Number 560 (15 April 1939)
Locomotive facts and figures. 95
G.W.R. [appointments]. 95
W.H. Bodman appointed Divisional Locomotive Superintendent, Cardiff in succession to C.T. Hurry Riches. A.W.J. Dymond appointed as assistant to Bodman.
New express locomotives: German State Railways. 96. illustration
Central Uruguay Railway. 2-8-0 reconstructed locomotives. 99-103. 4
illustratiions, 5 diagrams (including 2 side elevations & sectinalised
P.C. Dewhurst modifications. 2-6-0 converted to 2-8-0.
The first railway in China: Shanghai and Woosung.
112-14. 3 illustrations
Involvement of Sir Robert Macdonald Stephenson and Richard Rapier of Ransomes & Rapier Ltd.
Institution of Locomotive Engineers: air conditioning of
passenger stock. 114-
Precis of Paper 405 by A.H. Chilton
C. Hamilton Ellis. Famous locomotive engineers: X: Thomas W. Worsdell. 115-18.
J.W. Armstrong. The Forcett Railway. 119-20. 5 illustrations
Five miles long, built to convey limestone from the Forcett Quarries and opened in 1867. The engineer was William Bryson and the contractors Trowsdale & Sons of Stockton. It branched off the Darlington to Tebay line.
Wemyss Coal Co. Locomotive
C OAL has been mined in Fife from a very , early date, certainly since the twelfth century, and m November 1428 there IS a record of the raising of coal at Wemyss. David, second Earl of 'Wetnyss, obtained a charter from King Charles IT" and. built Methil harbour, there- by establishing an extensive export trade. A number of collieries have since been opened on the Wernyss Estate, which has continued throughout m 'the same family ownership. Mr. R. E. Wemyss obtained a Board of Trade certificate to construct a private railway, which was opened from Thornton to Buckhaven, 4i miles, on Aug. 8, 1881, and worked by the N .B.R. In order to facilitate the export business this was soon ex- tended to Methil, a further 1 t miles, and a new dock constructed at the latter place. The rail- way, hitherto known as the Wemyss and Buck- haven, was frorr: the opening of the extension on May 5, 1887, known as the Methil Ry. Both rail- way and dock were sold to the N.B.R. on January 11, 1889, and on March 17,1894, the Wemyss Coal Co. Ltd. was registered to work the minerals on the Vvemyss Estate. The present chairman of the company, Capt. Michael Wemyss, IS a direct descendant of David, the second Earl, previously mentioned. The company has formed an extensive system of railways connecting their collieries With the harbour at Methil, where two further docks have been completed by the North British Railway. They are the owners of a numerous stud of locomotives, of which No. () is shown in the illustration. This engine, formerly C.N.R. No. 601, was one of a very numerous class first built in 1874, and had 4 ft. 7 in. wheels on a base of 15 ft. 6 in., of which 7 ft. 3 in. were between the leading and driving and 8 ft. 3 m. between the driving and trailing. The cylmders were 17} in. by 26 in. and the boiler had a length of 10ft. 1 in., with a mini- mum external diameter of 3 ft. 10~ in. The saddle tank held 1,200 gallons of water, and the working. weight was about 40 tons. The engine m question was built at the Doncaster Works in 1875 and was sold during the period of the Great War to J. F. Wake, of Darlington, who recon- d itioned it for the Wemyss Coal Co.
\\'ISIIA\\·.-Thc Inspecting Officer of the Ministry of Trans- port has recently issued his report upon the accident which took place on August 4, at Wishaw South Station, situated on the L.M.S. main line dram Carlisle to Glasgow Central. 1\ special freight train from Carlisle overran signals on a falling gradient and collided at about 20 miles an hour with the rear of an empty passenger train. The driver of this latter .t r a i n who was alone at the time was thrown ofT by thc impact and his engine, with the regulator open, broke away. After tra\'clling some 3~ miles it overtook a passen- ger train, par-tly wr ock ing .the last coach and killing thc guard. The Inspccting Officer finds that the pr.irnary cause of this series of accidents was the inability of the driver of the frpight train to stop at signals, which may have been con- tr ibuted to by under est imarion of the load. A signalman is also mentioned for hls failure to observe that there was nobody on the engine when it passed him, especially as it was running tender first.
L. M. & S. Ry.
--Or. Leslie Burgin, Xl inister of Transport, recently made a trip on the footplate of "-'a. 6226 Duchess of .Vorfolk, with the down Royal Scat Express as far as Blis- worth. A special stop was made there for Dr. Burgin to aligh,t and return on a homeward run. Although permanent way checks caused delays between London and Tring a fine run was recorded, the 62.S milcs being covered in 65 minutes. The t r rui n consisted of eleven coaches, approximately 350 Ions.
Number 562 (15 June 1939)
The articulated locomotive. 159.
Garratt, Meyer, Fairlie and Mallet types.
L.M.S.R. No. 6230 "Duchess of Buccleuch". 159 + colour plate (missing from copy indexed)
Class "15F" 4-8-2 locomotives South African Railways. 160. illustration.
44 being supplied by North British Locomotive Co. to design of W.A.J. Day under supervision of T.C. Swallow, Advisory Engineer to the South African High Commissioner for South Africa in London.
Five new V2 class from Darlington Works; Nos. 4828-32. J24 Nos. 1822, 1823, 1829, 1846, 1950 and 1954 and J25 Nos. 1963, 1969, 1976, 1982, 1986, 1993, 2000, 2040, 2047, 2061, 2075 and 2138 taken out of service, but not broken up; but Hull & Barnsley 0-6-0 No. 2409 hadv been broken up.
V2 No. 4843 The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry named by Lady Deedes, wife of General Sir Charles Deedes, Colonel of the Regiment..
Diesel-electric locomotives, South Africa. 161-2. 3 illustrations
Southern Railway. 162
The annual Continental outing arranged under the auspices of the Mutual Improvement Class at Norwood Junction Locomotive Depot took place from Friday 19 May to 23 Tuesday 1939. Holland was selected for attention. Visits were made to the Locomo-tive Depots at Amsterdam (Central) and Rietlanden, on both of which the party was accompanied by L. Derens. One whole day was devoted to a round-trip of Holland by rail, the itinerary selected involving passage over the great bridges spanning the Lek, Waal, Linge, Maas, and Hollandsch Diep. A halt was made en route at Utrecht to visit the Railway Museum, where the party was received by Asselberghs, the Curator ; this aroused the greatest interest, and the demonstration of the signalling system in use on the Netherlands Railways by means of the model track on exhibition was highly appreciated, as it enabled the principles of operation to be acquired in the minimum of time. The visitors were subsequently entertained to luncheon at the Hotel Terminus by the Conductor, J. Pelham Maitland, at which Baron van Pallandt van Eerde and G. J. de Vos van Nederveen Cappel were also present. An excursion was also made to Volendam and Marken, in the Zuyder Zee, and around the city of Amsterdam, by water, in a private launch specially chartered for the party.
82 B.H.P. diesel locomotive , Hibberd-Crossley. 162
Diesel mechanical shunting engine built by F.C. Hibberd & Co. Ltd. of Park Royal, London, for service in the Crossley Works, Sandiacre: fitted with Freeborn automatic gear which enables the driver to work the locomotive in either direction by the throttle; reverse and brake handles completing the control. There are five speeds ranging from 3 to 10.4 m.p.h. S.K.F. roller bearings fitted to the gear shafts and jackshaft.
100 open and 100 covered wagons fitted with shock absorbing device recently introduced were to be built Swindon. The principle on which this device worksd is simple.. The body moves independently on the underframe and fitted with spring buffers to absorb shocks.
Latvian Railways.. 162
Henschel and Son secured an order for twenty locomotives from the Latvian Administration.
The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. 162
Cut schedule of one of the Zephyrs operating between Chicago and St. Paul from six hours thirty minutes to six hours fifteen minutes. As the distance is 431 miles the average speed was raised to 68.9 miles per hour.
Rhodesian Railways.. 162
An order placed with Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage and Wagon Co. for four diesel railcars, two of which articulated. All fitted with Ganz engines. The experimental car described in our July issue of 1937 has given very satisfactory working results.
H. Fayle. The Cork, Bandon and South Coast Rly. and its locomotives. 163-5. 3 illustrations, diagram (side elevation)
G. & S.W.R. single driver express locomotives. 165. illustration
Experimental determination of the overturning speeds of railway vehicles
on curves. 166-7. 3 illustrations
South African Railways experiments on 3ft 6in gauge with vehicles released down a steep gradient onto a test curve. Experiments followed the derailment of a train at Vlakteplaats on 10 December 1936.
L. Derens. The Dutch State Railways Company. 168-71. 4 diagrams
Great Western Railway. 171.
The following engines had been completed at Swindon: No. 6873 Caradoc Grange, No. 6874 Haughton Grange, No. 6875 Hindford Grange, No. 6876 Kingsland Grange, No. 6877 Llanfair Grange, and No. 5090 Neath Abbey. Five tanks, No. 7252 (2-8-2), No. 8105 (2-6-2), Nos. 3617, 3618 and 3619 (0-6-0), also No. 3225, a 4-4-0 tender engine. Sixteen engines withdrawn, No. 4069 Westminster Abbey (4-6-0), Nos. 3270 and 3433 tender engines (4-4-0), No. 2439 0-6-0 goods, Nos. 3179 and 5133 2-6-2 tanks, No. 3500 2-4-0 tank, Nos. 1615, 1632, 1785, 1795, 1875 and 1979 0-6-0 tanks, also Nos. 1161, 3571 and 3577 0-4-2 tanks.
The first five, Nos. 7080-7084, of the new 350 h.p. Diesel electric shunting locomotives (Class "O" freight tank) had been completed at Derby Works and allocated to Toton. They were being used there in connection with the mechanisation of the Down Sidings.
E.A. Phillipson. The steam locomotive in traffic. IV. Locomotive depot equipment. 172-4. 3 illustrations, diagram
C.R.H. Simpson. Some early American wheels. 175-6. 5 diagrams
Railway exhibits at Zurich. 176-7. 2 illustrations
E.R.S. Watkin. Locomotives of the Appleby-Frodingham
Steel Co. Ltd. 178.
No. 15 was acquired from Andrew Barclay in 1907. It was intended for hauling material from the crusher chutes to the high level furnace bunkers and for taking slag to the tip. In 1915 it fell from the top of the slag tip and required rebuilding. No. 16 was purchased from Peckett & Sons and intended for haulage of ironstone from the Conesby mine and after 1910 from the Thealby mine partly over the North Lindsey Light Railway and following WW1 was used within the works mainly on short hauls up steep gradients. No. 18 was obtained from Hudswell, Clarke & Co. in 1910 and was used on ironstone haulage. It was renumbered 19 in 1938.
C. Hamilton Ellis. Famous locomotive engineers. XI. Francis William Webb. 179-82. 4 illustrations (including portrait)
Probably an excessive amount of attention was given to Webb's persistance with compounding.
Notes on Fell's inventions. 183. illustration
Concentrates on the monorail system demonstrated at Aldershot South Camp and the Manning Wardle locomotive used on it: Ariel.
Number 563 (15 July 1939)
3ft. 6in. gauge 4-6-2 locomotive, Gold Coast Railway. 188-9. illustration
Metre guauge 4-10-2 locomotive, Araraquara Railway, Brazil. 189-. illustrationj
P.C. D[ewhurst], L.M.S.R. locomotives: a history of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway. -195.
Number 564 (15 August 1939)
Fayle, H. The Cork, Bandon and South Coast Rly. and its locomotives. 219-21.
L. Derens. The Dutch State Railways Company. 224-7. 2 illustrations, 6 diagrams
E.A. Phillipson. The steam locomotive in traffic. IV. Locomotive depot equipment. 228-30. 3 illustrations, 3 diagrams
Union-Pacific 5,000 H.P. steam-electric locomotive. 231-2. illustration
Buffet-restaurant car, York-Swindon service. 241. illustration
Number 565 (15 September 1939)
Steam locomotive development. 243.
Velox and French experimental high pressure water tube (870 psi) built, and multiple turbine locomotive built by Schneiders.
A fine miniature locomotive. 244-5. illustration
7¼ inch gauge 2-6-0 with high haulage capacity built by J.S. Beeson & Co. of Ringwood
P.C. D[ewhurst]. L.M.S.R. locomotives: a history of the Somerset
and Dorset Joint Railway. 249-51. 7 illustrations
Four 0-4-4T locomotives built by Vulcan Foundry (WN 1071-4) running numbers 52-55 were supplied in 1884: they were rebuilt with Johnson boilers in the 1900s. Between 1906 and 1910 the nine Avonside tanks were rebuilt with Deeley boilers. No. 30 was equipped with push and pull gear for working bewtwwn Highbridge and Burnham; Glastonbury and Wells, and for a short time beween Templecombe and Bournemouth. Nos. 32, 53 and 55 were rebuilt with Fowler Belpaire boilers. No. 54 was scrapped in 1921 and was replaced by LMS No. 1305 fitted with vacuum cotrolled push and pull gear and for a time remained in red livery but numbered 54. In 1928 No. 32 was renumbered 52 to replace the scrapped No. 52.
C.R.H. Simpson. Some modern locomotive wheels. 255-6.
Scullin Double Disc wheel manufactured by Scullin Steel Co. of St Louis and the Boxpok type manufactured by General Steel Castings Corporation.
C. Hamilton Ellis. Famous locomotive engineers. XII. Alexander McDonnell. 257-61. 5 illustrations (including portrait)
C.R.H. Simpson. Greig & Beadow's Patent locomotive. 261.
Patent: GB 402/1880: jackshaft drive
C. Hamilton Ellis. Italian locomotive notes. 262-5. 6 illustrations
S.O. Ell. Development of coned boiler barrels. 265-8.
Fayle, H. The Cork, Bandon and South Coast Rly. and its locomotives. 275-7.
L. Derens. The Dutch State Railway Company.
Continued in next volume page 74.
Number 567 (15 November 1939)
The importance of braking. 301.
Drum brakes and disc brakes: problem of high speeds: use of Ferodo
4-6-4 tank locomotives, Federated Malay States. 302,
Supplied by North British Locomotive Co. to specification of W.F. Wegener Chief Mechanical Engineer under supervision of Crown agents for the Colonies. Fitted with A.L.E. rotary cam poppet valve gear and smoke deflectors.
Lightweight passenger stock. 302-3.
Short account of W.A. Stanier paper which should have been presented at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers American Meeting in New York which described how the use of welding and high tensile steel aimed to lower the weight per passenger seat to 500 lb. The new Liverpool to Southport electric multiple units conformed to this design philosophy.
Some aspects of railway progress as they affect locomotive development.
Ordinary expresses. Engine loading schedules as applied by the LMS; load limits as applied by Great Western and Southern Railways. Local passenger trains.
L.M.S. two-cylinder 4-6-0 mixed traffic locomotive (class 5P5F) No. 5158 Glasgow Yeomany fitted with Manson tablet pick-up apparatus for working between Perth an Inverness. illustration (photograph). 305
A record load of 721 tons was hauled by 2-6-2 mixed traffic engine, Class V2.
"First class" travel. 305
London Passenger Transport Board withdrew first class from all services except those to Aylebury and Watford (Met.). The French State Railway Administration abolished first class on suburban and local trains, but retained on long distance express trains. In 1846 vthe Great Western Railway had 107 first class, 103 second class and 18 third class carriages.
Ambulance trains. 306-7. illustration
A century of Austrian locomotive practice.
Continued in next volume page 129.
L.I. Sanders. Carriage and wagon design and construction. III. The
Continued in next volume page 13.
Early methods of wheel making, 312-13. illustration, diagram
Photograph of flangeless wheels from Great Western Railway Lord of the Isles. The diagram shows how the wheel was built up by making the spokes, followed by a segment of the rim. Welding demanded the greatest skill.
C. Hamilton Ellis. Famous locomotive engineers: XIII: Samuel W. Johnson. 313-18. 5 illustrations (including portrait)
Lionel Wiener. Steam carriages Belgian State Railways. 319-22.
illustration, 6 diagrams (including 5 side elevations)
Belpaire designs, including guitar boiler.
Some aspects of braking. 322-4. 2 diagrams, table
Early work on friction between brake shoes and the wheel included that by Coulomb and Morin who experimented from 1781 until the early 1830s; H. Bochet; Galton and Poirée
A new automatic drifting valve. 325-6. diagram
J. Stone & Co. device fitted to Kenya & Uganda Railway 4-8-4+4-8-4 Beyer Garratt.
L.M.S.R. appointments. 328
E.A. Milne, Works Superintendent, Barassie to Carriage & Wagon Assistant, Glasgow; W.R. Ford, Shed Foreman Birkenhead to be Assistant Locomotive Superintendent, Carnforth..
Number 568 (15 December 1939)
High-speed lightweight trains. -336
Continued in next volume page 18.
Fayle, H. The Cork, Bandon and South Coast Rly. and its locomotives. 336-8. 26 illus.
P.C. D[ewhurst]. L.M.S.R. locomotives: a history of
the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway.
Continued in next volume page 43.
Morris, O.J. Standardising Southern Railway locomotives.,
Central Section. 344-7:
Continued next Volume: see page 93
Drawing of Blavier and Larpent's L'Aigle
Via Pap 443
Stephenson-Molyneux valve gear system. 155
Suppied to Buenos Aires & Pacific Railway by Stephenson & Hawthorn