Volume 3 (1898)
Number 25 (January 1898)
To our readers. 1
In commencing our third volume we cordially thank all our readers and correspondents for their help in making our Journal so successful, for it now has the largest circulation of any magazine devoted to locomotives published in the great British Empire. We intend keeping to our policy of being right up-to-date, carefully watching the improvements in the locomotives and rolling stock of our country, and' endeavouring by all available means to help on any reforms we think desirable of adoption. Wild inventors of impracticable schemes will find no encouragement in our pages, but we shall continue to record the advent of all practical advancements with the fulness they deserve. The Jubilee year of 1897 saw some great strides in the construction of locomotives with larger boilers, &c., and of railway trains built on the car principle with central automatic couplers and vestibules, we sincerely hope that 1898 will see more. As will be surmised from the presentation of a second colored plate with this issue, we shall continue to add to the attractions of the" Loco- motive Magazine" as time goes on. Our friends may rest assured that each of these pictures will be up to the sample, correctly reproduced and finished in a style second to none, and ready for the most exacting railway man's criticism.
The new Caledonian flyers. 1
One of these long expected engines has just made its debut and is numbered 766. It has drivers 6-ft. 6-in. diam., and cylinders 19-in. by 26-iri. The boiler is 12-in, longer than that of the Dunalastair class, the tubes being lengthened 8-in. and the firebox 4-in. The sandboxes were placed below the footplating instead of being in front of the driving splashers, and a new number plate is employed having bright raised figures on a red ground. The tender runs on two four-wheeled bogies having outside springs.
Highland railway engines. 1
Another new bogie like No. 5 was out numbered 6. Old No. 6 has been re-numbered 32 to take the place of the old single Cluny, now broken up.
G. W. R. locomotives. 1
The first of some new six-coupled saddle tanks had appeared numbered 2721. Instead of underhung plate springs, four spiral springs were provided above each axle box. The coupling rods, were H section, provided with both horizontal .and vertical joints. All new standard goods engmes were having coupling rods of the above mentioned section, and all express engines are being fitted with exhaust injectors. Goods and tank, as well as passenger engines, were now painted the standard light green.
G. E. R. goods engines. 1
Ten more of the No. 999 class built at Stratford: numbered 602 to 608 and 946 to 948, and fitted with the steam brake.
Our picture plate. 1
Up West Coast Postal Express on the C.R. The train is drawn by Engine No. 119, and is shown soon after passing Ferryhill Junction, nearly a mile from Aberdeen.
The history and locomotives of the L.T.&S.R. 2-5. 2
The contractors Peto, Betts & Brassey built the line and operated it withn motive power being provided by the Great Eastern Railway. The lease was due to expire in July 1875 and the company set out to buy locomotives. Twelve 4-4-2Ts were purchased from Sharp Stewart. These had 17 x 26in outside cylinders, 6ft 1in coupled wheels, 1020ft2 total heating surface, 17.25ft2 grate area. Six more were acquired in 1881, and 12 in 1884 to cover new lines which had been opened.
The Southern Division engines of the L.&N.W.R. 5-6. 3 diagrams (side elevations)
The West Coast Postal. T.F. Budden. 8
Photograph of Caledonian Railway No. 119 with very short train
Four-coupled bogie express engine for the Dublin, Wicklow
& Wexford Railway. 9. illustration
4-4-0 supplied by Vulcan Foundry (No. 56 illustrated). 18 x 26in cylinders, 6ft coupled wheels, 1020ft2 total heating surface, 17.25ft2 grate area.
Our coloured supplement. 9.
Missing plate: Johnson single No. 116
Across the U.S.A. by rail. 10-11. 2 illustrations
Final part from Sacrameno (bridge over Sacramento River) and Solano ferryboat, 424ft long train ferry to Port Coast and so to Oakland
The locomotive of today. 11-13. diagram
Number 26 (February 1898)
Across the U.S.A. by rail. 20. illustration
Journey from San Francisco to Los Angeles noting the contrast from the Mojave Desert with the lushness of Los Angeles. Photograph of Coronado Express which ran along the Pacific shore noted for its surf.
Our picture plate: "an Irish Royal Train". 21; 24
Belfast & County Down Railway for Duke and Duchess of York's visit to Ireland in the summer of 1897 shown at Newcastle station behind Beyer Peacock two-cylinder compound No. 24 driven by J. Hulse under the supervision of the Miller, the locomotive superintendent
The Southern Division engines of the L.&N.W.R. 21-2. 4 diagrams (side elevations)
Number 27 (March 1898)
New four-coupled bogie express engines for the Caledonian Railway.
The electric locomotives on the Western Railway of France. 42-3.
Hellmann steam electric locomotive
Number 28 (April 1898)
Sir Henry Bessemer, Theodore West and William Cowan.
Vestibuled cars. 51-2. illustration
Second class car illustrated: as used on London to Hastings service provided by South Eastern Railway. Also notes provision of vestibuled rolling stock on other railways
Ten-wheeled tank engine for the G.N.R. 52-3. illustration
Ivatt 4-4-2T: No. 1009 illustrated
The Southern Division engines of the L.&N.W.R.
53-4. 3 diagrams (side
See Editorial copmment on page 20 of Volume 16
Number 29 (May 1898)
Number 30 (June 1898)
Four-coupled bogie express engine for the North British
Railway. 89. illustration.
Matthew Holmes 4-4-0 No. 729 with 6ft 6in coupled wheels, built at Cowlairs Works.
Number 31 (July 1898)
Driver Fenwick' death and new Caledonian Flyers (one of which he was driving).
Single Compound Express, N.E.R. 97. illustration.
Very small photograph of 4-2-2
Railway notes. 97
L. & S. W. R. locos. 97.
Ten more four-coupled bogie tank engines of the 242 class had been built at Nine Elms, numbered 31 to 40. These engines were painted like the rest of the class, but had the initials L. S. W. R. on the tank sides. These initials are now being put on all tanks and tenders as they come into the paint shop instead of S. W. R. as previously. The first of the new four-coupled bogie express engines had also been completed, and numbered 290.
The Leyland Accident. 97
On night of 2 June 1898 an excursion train from Blackpool, drawn by L. & Y. engine No. 1188, was run into at Leyland by a train from Morecambe with engine No. 521, two passengers being killed. Both engines are of the standard six coupled type, and No. 521 had the buffer beam and smokebox smashed in.
The G. E. R. 97
In addition to the long runs to and from Liverpool Street and North Walsham as performed last summer, the G. E. R. would this month (July) run a train through from Yarmouth to London, 121¾ miles, without a stop. On another page will be found particulars of the engines built for these services, and of which six had been completed, Nos. 10 to 15.
G. N. R. engines . 97
The last three of the four coupled bogie express engines had been completed at Doncaster, numbered 1318, 1319 and 1320, and were stationed at Colwick. Five more are to be built with 9-in. longer wheel base, and boilers 3-in. larger in diameter.
L. & N. W. R. locomotives. 97
Some of the new six coupled radial side tanks had been finished at Crewe, their numbers being 1563, 1564 and 1596. They were fitted with Joy's valve gear and piston valves, and the automatic vacuum brake. No. 1501 Jubilee was again in service, compounded. Some more of the scoop shields noticed last month had been fitted to tenders, and No. 648 Swiftsure had been provided with piston valves.
New Caledonian Flyers. 97
One of these already famous engines, No. 779, had the name Breadalbane painted on the driving splashers . This was the leading engine of the Queen's train from Aberdeen to Perth on the occasion of her journey south on the 21 June, the train engine being No. 780. The driver of the latter, David Fenwick, having mounted the tender to adjust the communication cord, was unfortunately struck by a bridge near Cove and instantly killed. From Perth to Carlisle the Royal special was drawn by Nos. 775 and 777. These locomotives were now stationed as follows: 766 and 767 Polmadie, 768 and 769 Edinburgh, 77o to 774 Carlisle, and 775 to 780 Perth. Nos. 766, to 771, 773 and 774 are painted the usual dark blue, and the remainder the light shade as adopted for Nos. 721, 723 and 724.
L. & Y. tank engines. 97
Twenty more of the standard four coupled radial tank engines had been built for the L. & Y. R. at Horwich: numbers 1361, 1362, 1367 and 1370 to 1386.
G. C. R. locos. 97
Two more of the new four-coupled bogie express engines had been put in service and numbered 853 and 854. No. 852 had been painted the standard green.
S. E. R. tank engines. 97
The standard bogie tank engines on this railway are now being painted green, and lined out similar to the express engines.
Number 32 (August 1898)
New L. & S.W.R. express engines. 126. illustration
Drummond 4-4-0 No. 290
Number 33 (September 1898)
The locomotives of the Great Northern Railway. 130-2. 6 diagrams (side elevations)
Locomotives of the Bristol and Exeter Railway. 133-4. 4 diagrams (side elevations)
Condensing tank locomotive for the Caledonian Railway. 135.
92 Class: painted black for working Glasgow underground railway.
The locomotive history of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.
135-6. diagram (side elevation), table
Stroudley C class 0-6-0
St. Gothard six-coupled bogie express. 138. illustration
Four-cylinder compound 4-6-0 built at the Swiss Locomotive Works at Winterthur in 1894.
Number 34 (October 1898)
Railway notes. 145
L. & Y. tank engines. 145
Twenty more of the standard four coupled radial tank engines had been built at Horwich. Their numbers were: 1387 to 1391, 686, 693, 696, 699, 701, 703, 721, 723, 724, 725, 728, 730, 732, 733 and 734. They were fitted with metallic packing for both piston rods and valve spindles, and had Richardson's cast iron balanced valves and water pick-up.
N.E.R. compound. 145
No. 1619, rebuilt as detailed in our May issue, is now at work on the main line, and on the. 8th ult. (September) left Newcastle 7 min. late with the 10.00 ex King's Cross, and arrived at Waverley station, Edinburgh, right time, the load being equal to 23. The extension front had been abolished, and the cab had no elevated roof owing to the great height of the boiler. The driving splashers still had the flat top, but the brass beading was carried round each of the coupled wheels.
G.C.R. express locos. 145
Two more of the standard four coupled bogie expresses [4-4-0] were at work, painted grey, and numbered 857 and 858. No. 856 is painted a lighter grey than the others, and lined out with black and white the name "Great Central" being on the tender sides in white letters.
L. & N. W. R. locos. 145
Two more 6-ft. 3-in. compounds had been fitted with piston valves: 508 Marchioness of Stafford and 515 Niagara. The special conveying the Prince of Wales from Portsmouth to Ballater on 10 December 1897 was taken over the L. &N.W.R. by No. 1501 Jubilee.
L. C. & D. R. express engine. 145
Another 6-ft. 6-in. four coupled bogie engine (4-4-0) had been turned out of the Longhedge works, numbered 24.
Recent Welsh locomotives. 145
In 1897 the Brecon & Merthyr Ry. had received from R. Stephnson &. Co. a four coupled sIde tank with single paIr of leading wheels (2-4-0T? WN 2878). Sharp, Stewart & Co. delivered in 1897 to the Rhymney Ry. ten six coupled radial double framed saddle tanks numbered 77 to 86 (WN 4257 to 4266 0-6-0T?); and "this year" have constructed for the Barry Ry. three four coupled double end side tanks numbered 89 to 91 (WN 4367 to 4369 (2-4-2T?)
Recent Scottish locomotives. 145
The Highland Ry. had turned out from Lochgorm works another 5-ft. four coupled outside cylinder bogie engines (No. 5 class) [4-4-0] numbered 33. The Caledonian Ry. had rebuilt one of Drummond's bogie engines, No. 7 I, originally built by Neilson & Co. in 1884 with a boiler of the Dunalastair type. Ten of the large N.B.R. express engines, illustrated in our June number, were at work, and numbered 729 to 738.
Recent Irish locomotives.-
Beyer, Peacock & Co. had in 1897 delivered to the G.N.R. more 6-ft. 6-in: four coupled bogie express engines [4-4-0], their numbers and names being: 75 Jupiter, 76 Hercules, and 77 Achilles. The GNR(I) had constructed at its Dundalk works two more standard double end side tanks, but having round topped cabs. Their numbers, names and dates were: 90 Aster (1897), and 95 Crocus (1898). The D. W. & W. R. had constructed at their Dublin works a new 5-ft. 6-in. four coupled double end side tank, No. 3 St. Patrick.
Locomotives of the Bristol and Exeter Railway. 146-7. 3 diagrams (side
Pearson 4-2-4T built by Rothwell for express services.
The locomotive history of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.
147-8. 2 diagrams (side elevations), table
Stroudley D class 0-4-2T, including some rebuilt by Billinton
The locomotives of the Great Northern Railway. 150-1. 5 diagrams (side
Bury, Curtis & Kennedy 2-4-0 No. 100 WN 359/1849
A.J. Chisholm. A Cornish Railway and its engines.
Liskeard & Caradon Railway and its three locomotives: Cheesewring, Kilmar and Caradon. Cheesewring is illustrated outside the locomotive shed at Moorswater. It was an outside-cylinder 0-6-0ST with 13 x 24in cylinders, 4ft coupled wheels, a heating surface of about 700ft2 and operated at 120 psi. It was built by Gilkes, Wilson of Middlesbrough in 1865 and reboilered in 1890
Number 35 (November 1898)
[New L. & Y. locos.]
2-4-2T with extended bunkers: see also Number 38 p. 17
Belgian locomotives built in Scotland. 161
The Oxford & Aylesbury Tramroad. 167-8.
Huddersfield at Quainton Road. 168.
Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST photograph.
Number 36 (December 1898)
Railway notes. 177
To our readers. 177
In closing this our third volume we take the opportunity of thanking our numerous readers and correspondents for their assistance during 1898 in making our magazine so successful. As a finis to the volume we have published a special issue or Christmas supplement with the title, " British Expresses, 1898," which is now on sale at all newsagents and bookstalls. It illustrates, by numerous reproductions of instantaneous photographs, all the principal fast trains of Great Britain. With the commencement of our new volume we shall issue another of our famous colored plates representing the fine G.W.R. express engine, " Lord of the Isles," and hope to follow this with others equally attractive.
G.W.R. locomotives. 177
There have lately been completely at Swindon the following express passenger engines : No. 3075 Princess Louise, 7-ft. 8-in. bogie single, and Nos. 3302 Mortimer, 3303 Marlborough, 3304 Oxford, and 3305 Samson, of the four coupled bogie (3292) class. A new class has also been introduced, having the framing, motion and wheels identical with the Pendennis Castle class, except that the bogie wheels have spokes. The boiler, however, is much larger, and the firebox, which is of the Belpaire type, projects over the barrel not only at the top but also at the sides, the bottom being narrowed to pass between the frames. The cab extends to the edge of the footplate, a door being provided in the front on the fireman's side. The clack boxes are under the barrel just behind the smokebox, and the nameplates are on the side of the firebox. The smokebox is slightly extended, and the engine is fitted with steam reversing gear. The first of these engines, which has just made its appearance, is No. 3312 Bulldog. No. 2571, the first of a fresh series of standard goods engines, has just appeared, having an extended smokebox.
L. & S.W.R. locomotives. 177
Most of the new four coupled bogie express engines illustrated in our August issue were at work; their numbers ran from 290 to 299. Five six coupled shunting tanks had also been finished at Nine Elms, their numbers being 237 to 240 and 279. Fifteen of the new goods engines built by Messrs. Dubs & Co., Nos. 702 to 716, were renumbered 306, 308, 309, 315, 317, 325, 326, 327, 339, 346, 350, 352, 355, 368 and 459.
Exchange of L. & Y.R. and G.N.R. engines. 177
The Great Northern Ry. had been experimenting with a L. & Y. engine, No. 318, one of the standard 7-ft. 3-in. four coupled bogies which running between Leeds and Peterborough. Owing to the small capacity of the L. & Y. tenders (which have water pick-ups), No. 318 has been fitted with the tender of G.N.R. goods engine No. 1044, painted black to match the engine, with the initials G.N.R. in gold. No. 1310, G.N.R., had similarly been running experimentally on the L. & Y. R.
New G.N.R. engines. 177
The second series of the large four coupled bogies (1321 class) consisting of ten engines, Nos. 1326 to 1335, had left the shops; the first four had been put into running, stationed at Doncaster. Four more of the ten wheeled tanks (1009 class) were now out, Nos. 1015, 1016 and 1017 being stationed at Bradford, and 1019 at Leeds.
New G.E.R. engines.. 177
Another ten of the 6-coupled goods engines (999 class) were out: numbered 562 to 571, and fitted with steam brakes. Some 4-coupled passenger tanks with trailing bogies will be out shortly.
Locomotives of the Bristol and Exeter Railway. 178-9. 4 diagrams (side
Two 4-2-4T engines built under Pearson, but with 7ft 6in driving wheels: numbered 2005 and 2006 by GWR. Two Pearson 0-6-0STs built at Bristol for shunting Nos. 75 and 76 and thirteen Pearson 2-4-0 passenger engines which became GWR Nos. 2015-27. Fourteen of GWR Europa class 0-6-0 transferred to Bristol & Exeter due to gauge conversion. Continued Volume 4 page 23.
Wagon door controlling gear. 179 + plate
Diagrams/illustrations mentioned in text only evident on plate! Monarch system
The locomotive history of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.
180-3. 3 diagrams (side elevations), table
Stroudley E class of 0-6-0T
An International railway station. 186-7. 3 illustrations
Basle in Switzerland which adjoins Germany and France. Operation was hindered by a level crossing at the German end.
The locomotive of today. 187-9
A handsome railway train. 190. 3 illustrations.
The Pioneer Limited ran between Chicago and Minneapolis on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Ry. The train was built by Barney and Smith of Dayton, Ohio. It ran overnight.
Dining car, G.N.R. Ireland. 190 .plan
Non-vestibuled car with kitchen and toilets in centre and first and second class seating on either side and smoking compartments for the two classes at each end