|Joint Railways: locomotives|
A large number of the jointly-owned railways ceased to exist at the
1923 grouping as they were absorbed into the four main line companies. About
fifty remained in existence, however. Most of these were operated jointly
by the owning companies' locomotives and rolling stock, but a few were worked
on an alternate basis, notably. the Weymouth and Portland (GWR/SR). The Cheshire
Lines Committee and some of the electrified railways (e.g. the Manchester,
South Junction & Altrincham) owned rolling stock, but the former utilized
LNER motive power on most services; it also owned some Sentinel railcars.
The Axholme also possessed one steam railcar. The Somerset & Dorset and
Midland & Great Northern joint railways had separate locomotive stocks
plus limited workshop facilities. These arrangements were maintained for
a time after the grouping. The LMS and GNR (I) owned the County Donegal Railways
Joint Committee, but this is considered with the other Irish railways. In
the early days there were some extraordinary joint lines, notably the London
& Croydon Railway.
Casserley, H.C. Britain's joint lines. London, Ian Allan, 1968. 224pp. 233 illus., 11 tables.
Includes detailed notes and tabulated data on the locomotive stocks.
Axholme Joint Railways
Rolling stock limited to Sentinel railcar
Oates, G. The Axholme
Joint Railway. 1961. (Locomotion papers, No. 16).
Cheshire Lines Committee:
The original owners were the Great Central, Great Northern and Midland railways. The title was a misnomer as its main line connected Liverpool with Manchester, both of which are in Lancashire. Other lines served Southport, Stockport and Chester. Intensive services were operated on most of the lines and the Great Central, later the LNER, provided the motive power for all internal trains..
Griffiths, R.P. The Cheshire Lines Railway. 1947.. (Oakwood library of railway history, No. 5).
Pearson, A.J. Man of the rail. London, Allen & Unwin, 1967. 203 p. + front. + 22 plates 43 illus. (incl. 25 ports.), 2 tables.
Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway
This joint Glasgow & South Western/Caledonian line was unusual in that it owned two small locomotives, although all the frequent passenger and freight services were operated by the parent companies. Essery and Jenkinson An illustrated history of LMS locomotives. Vol. 3 plate 277 shows Neilson 0-4-0ST (probably Works official photograph) of No. 1 which could have become LMS No. 16050. Cornwell (pp. 41-2) gives more infoormation: they were Neilson WN 3616 and 3617/1887. They had 150 psi boilers and were painted in crimson lined in CR passenger style. Both passed to the GSWR in 1919..
Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway
Illustration is a plate in Ernest F. Carter's Britain's railway liveries (1952)
This railway's main line ran eastwards from an end-on junction with the Midland near Bourne, in Lincolnshire, to [Great] Yarmouth. Adrian Vaughan argues that railway probably began as a strategic branch line constructed from Spalding to Sutton Bridge rather than as a: rural byway from [King's] Lynn to Fakenham and this was extended westward over Sutton Bridge, still in use as a vital element in the A17 road, and eastward. One branch connected Peterborough with the main line at Sutton Bridge and branches from Melton Constable served Cromer and Norwich. Most of the locomotives were built to the company's own designs and a few were constructed at the Melton Constable workshops. Some GNR locomotives were also owned and many engines incorporated Midland boilers. This independent state was retained until 1936, when the LNER absorbed the locomotives and rolling stock: the former had been painted in a dark yellow-colour. A small portion of the line still forms part of the national railway network (serving West Runton and Sheringham) and a further small piece is "preserved" between Sheringham and somewhere that is not quite Holt, with Weybourne in between (this has become a sort of New Age Melton Constable). At one time there were through services to London King's Cross, as well as to Liverpool Street from North Norfolk. For most of the summer of 2004 the "City" of Norwich was reduced to one through train per day (hence "One Railway") and a train cum (inherently) unreliable bus service which "connected" Ipswich with a dank, draughty corner of Essex.
The website is moderately informative and give details of the Society's publications, most of which are absent from blpc, but are included in the Ottley Second Supplement.
Ahrons, E.L. Locomotive
and train working in the latter part of the nineteenth century; edited
by L.L. Asher. Cambridge: Heffer, 1951. Volume 1.
This is reproduced elsewhere and gives an indication of the glories which formerly existed: Norwich to Sheringham non-stop in under an hour, for instance and through trains to King's Cross.
Boughton, J.W.F., compiler. Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway locomotives. Rly Mag., 1930, 66,130. table.
A stock list.
Clark, Ronald H. An illustrated history of M & GN locomotives Oxford Publishing Co.
AW & RJE reviewed this work in BRJ Number 33: "It is a little difficult to know how to approach the question of a review for this book, so we will begin by quoting the publisher, whose comments appear inside on the jacket cover. We are told that 'the author has put together a detailed record of all the locomotive engines acquired by, built for and built by the M & GNJR with each class fully described and illustrated', and it will be on the basis of this statement that the review will be formulated.
Considerable emphasis has been placed upon the coloured general arrangement drawings and, while these have not been published before as such, most have appeared in black and white in the author's previous work Scenes of the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway. There are a number of errors as noted below: Fig. 1. The drawing gives a chimney height of lift 11 ft 0½ in but the text states l0ft 9in the text is correct. The drawing suggests that the locomotive carried a numberplate but this did not appear on the locomotive until about 1886 (in Eastern & Midland days). Fig. 5. This GA of the 4-4-0Ts shows a locomotive with automatic vacuum brake; at no time were any of the Norfolk engines so fitted. In addition, the drawing shows equalising gear which did not appear on any of the Norfolk engines in actual service. Fig. 6. In this drawing, the cab does not resemble either the drawing produced by P. C. Dewhurst in The Locomotive for 1921, or any photos of the engines as received into service. Fig. 19. The tenders fitted to the Ivatt GNR Class 14 (Class DA on the M & GNJR) were of 3,170 gallon capacity, not 2,800 as shown. This drawing depicts a Stirling design with outside frames and two vacuum brake pipes. They never ran on the M & GN. Fig. 23. This was originally used many years ago in the Railway Magazine as a readers' competition. Its use within the terms of reference for this work seems a little strange.
Turning now to the photographs and text, we find that, in Chapter 4, the author states that four engines were loaned to the Midland Railway, but only three were returned. This is not correct; all were returned before being disposed of elsewhere.
Plate 16. This is certainly not No. 20A; this locomotive never received a Deeley smokebox or chimney of that shape.
Chapter 8. Surely the term 'Peacocks' came as a result of these 4-4-0s being built by Beyer Peacock, and had nothing to do with either the livery or any ornithological connection as suggested by the author.
On page 57, the author becomes somewhat confused, it was No. 24's boiler that was beyond repair, and No. 25 whose frames broke near Spalding; No. 25 was hurried to Melton, where her boiler, cab, splashers and tender were put onto No. 24's frames and wheels, the assembly then being turned out as 25! However, this was in 1936, not 1929, so Mr. W. E. Newman could hardly have hinted to the author that the spares had gone to stock. He had retired four years earlier! After this, No.25 never came out in glossy black unlined livery, but in the umber of the M & GN. The black livery was applied at Stratford the next year, and an examination of Plate 31 will show lining round the cab and tender tank; this lining was red.
Plate 34 (which shows No. 35) does not reveal the builder's name plate, since the lettering has been ground off and the plate painted red. The author describes the ground colour for the livery as being golden gorse, with brown frames and black wheels - this is not correct. This description was not used at Melton to describe what was in effect Stroud ley's improved willow green. Furthermore, no yellow engine received black wheels.
Chapter 9. Once again old errors are perpetuated. The Johnson 4-4-0s supplied to the Joint line by Sharp Stewarts (and known as the Class C), were to the Midland Railway's 1808 Class design, and not the 2203 Class, whose driving wheel base was 6 inches longer. Furthermore, the author is confused by the exact meaning of the term 'rebuilding', and uses it when 'reboilering' would be more accurate.
Plate 41. This picture was taken pre-1903 (look at the lamp irons), not in 1917, nor is the location Hellesdon, as reference to the track diagram will confirm.
Plate 43. The action picture showing much steam leaking from the piston or spindle glands is of No. 45, and not No. 56 as stated.
Chapter 11. There never was a Midland Railway Class D (2284). This error has appeared many times in print, and probably started with P. C. Dewhurst in an article which appeared in The Locomotive magazine. They were, in effect, further examples of the Midland Railway's Class M. No. 60 never received a G7 boiler; we suspect this is a misprint for No. 68 which did. Chapter 12. Plate 52. This view of No. 83 does not show its original condition; the locomotive has an extended smokebox. Plate 53. This purports to be a picture taken in 1938, but the engine in question, No. 68, was withdrawn the previous year. However, both this plate and Plate 54 are not rebuilds of Ivatt Class DA but G7 Belpaire rebuilds of Johnson Class D!
All in all, the work is a considerable disappointment. There are 119 numbered pages in what can only be described as a most extravagant layout, which could well have been accommodated in less than 100 pages. A number of diverse points have been incorporated in order to stretch this thin story over a reasonable number of pages, but the success of this presentation must be debatable. Finally, there are some good pictures, many quite interesting and well produced, but with extremely sparse captions which could have been expanded.We feel that a work from the pen of the President and Chairman of the M & GN Circle could have been much better.
Clark, R.H. A short history of the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway. Norwich, Goose & Son, 1967. [xiv], 210 p. + col. front. + folding plate. 96 illus., 17 diagrs., 46 tables, 11 maps. Bibliog.
This was (in the 1960s) the most important source for all aspects of the company's history, but see fierce review by Essery & Alan Wells of later book by Clark.
Crawshaw, A. Midland & Great Northern Joint locomotives. Rly Obsr, 1931, 3,11-15.
Digby, Nigel J.L. A guide to the Midland & Gt. Northern Joint Railway. London: Ian Allan, 1993. 160pp,
Includes two pages of line drawings (which look as if derived from not very good photocopies) of locomotive stock. Main axis of book is to describe and illustrate the civil engineering structures on the line, such as the grand station formerly at West Runton, only the concrete nameboard of which survives (partly due to the efforts made by the book's author.. Bibliography.
Digby, Nigel J.L. Liveries of the Midland & Great Northern Railway Joint Committee. 2002. (M&GN Circle Booklets No. 17)
Includes a colour chart.
Essery, Bob. The Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway and its locomotives; with contributions from Nigel Digby, David Jenkinson and Alan Wells. Lydney: Lightmoor Press, 2009. 192pp.
Gillford, F.H. The Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway, II its locomotives, 1900-1935. Rly Mag., 1936, 79, 273-9. 12 illus.
Part I (pp. 201-9) was by A. Maxwell and described operating conditions.
Jenkinson, David. Midland and Great Northern Locomotives a century ago. Bedside Backtrack, 9-13.
An extensively illustrated account of some of the locomotives which came into M&GN ownership from its constituent companies in 1893. Quotes Ahrons on early M&GNR fleet: "The quaintest assortment that ever adorned a railway of this length". Brief history, map and summarizing table. Illus.: 4-4-0T North Walsham supplied to Yarmouth & North Norfolk Railway in 1878; 4-4-0T Kings Lynn of Lynn & Fakenham Railway supplied by Hudswell Clark; and same locomotive as M&GNR No. 20; M&GNR 4-4-0T No. 40 (two views in two different states); former Cornwall Minerals Railway 0-6-0T as 2-4-0 in E&MR livery; former CMR 0-6-0T with tender as E&MR No, 11; former LNWR 2-4-0 as M&GNR No. 42; former LNWR 2-4-0 as E&MR No. 43A; M&GNR 4-4-0 No. 25 (built Beyer Peacock) at Yarmouth; E&MR No. 29 (4-4-0 built BP in 1886); M&GNR 4-4-0 No. 30 probably in 1893; 4-4-0 No. 33 and 0-6-0T No. 14.
Lefevre, Paul. Large passenger tanks on the M & GN. Br Rly J., 1985 (8), 304.
MR 0-4-4Ts Nos. 1232-4 ran as M&GNR Nos 142, 143 and 144 (on loan for six years until 1910) and probably retained Midland red livery and worked Cromer to North Walsham via Overstrand and Mundesley; and Yarmouth to Lowestoft. Drawing shows No. 143 lettered M&GN with tablet exchange device. Also describes the M&GNR 4-4-2Ts and their origins: MR type boiler; Doncaster radial truck; and possible LTSR influences. Photographic illus. of No. 9: writer suggested that cut away tanks were to reduce weight ro enable them to cross West Lynn bridge..
Marriott. William. Forty years of a Norfolk railway: the reminiscences of William Marriott, engineer and traffic manager of the M.&G.N.R. Joint Railway, 1883-1924. Sheringham: Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway Society. 1974/1999. 28pp.
Copies are still available
Newman, M. and Bowles, W.W. .The Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway. Trains ill., 1955, 8, 59- 64; 137-43; 193-7. 22 illus., map.
Locomotive development is described on pp. 193-7. by Newman.
Notes on M. & G.N.R. locos. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1938, 44,16-17. 3 illus.
[Retirement of William Marriott]. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1925, 31, 13.
Marriott made the largest contribution to engineering, including locomotive development, on the railway.
Wells, A. The Cornwall Minerals Railway and its locomotives. 1984. 46pp. (M&GN Circle Booklet No. 7)
Wells, A.M. The locomotives of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, 1877-1936. Rly pict., 1950, 3, 9-11; 35-7; 46-8; 65-7; 88-9; 149-51; 170-2: Railways, 1951, 12, 145-7; 194-5; 233-4. 38 illus.
Wells, Alan M. Mystery Photo and MR 0-4-4Ts. Br. Rly J. (9).
See also letter from Paul Lefevre on page 304 (Issur 8 of BRT) which related to use of Midland Railway locomotives on MGNJR. The Midland 0-4-4 tanks were in use on the Midland and Great Northern Railway from 1908 to 1912. Without any doubt they received overhaul and repainting at Melton Constable. In the 1890s a Midland 2-4-0 No. 233A was stationed at Norwich and the crew turned the steam back into the tank and blistered the paintwork. It was repainted at Melton andduring WW1 several Midland engines were overhauled and repainted there so it would not be difficult to paint engines in the Midland Red.
The drawing of the 0-4-4T appears to be one writer's for the M & GN Circle Drawing Service and is based on one by P.C. Dewhurst who wrote a series of articles on M&GN locomotives in the Locomotive Magazine for 1921-2. The Derby drawings of the class as built are not there now, but one by H.T. Buckle "is in existence" although some of the dimensions around the bunker and cab opening are definitely wrong. A drawing exists in the Dewhurst collection in the Science Museum of the class as running on the M&GN. It will be noticed that the cab is not standard. It seems strange that Dewhurst gave the running numbers as 141-3 and he should have known as he was at Melton 1906-8 supervising the fitting of tablet exchangers and the three engines had them for either way running. They were surely the last engines to receive the large numerals. One of these engines was at Bourne and a man who fired on it told writer it required a thicker fire than the Joint engines because the firebars were wider apart.
Wrottesley, A.J. The Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway. 2nd ed. 1981.
Locomotive development is only very lightly skteched, although many of the illustrations are of locomotives. There are also diagrams of the Whitaker tablet exchange apparatus.
Groves Great Northern locomotive history Vol. 2 page 240: Whilst M.& G.N. stock had no connection with the GNR., the following brief outline may serve to complete the picture of this type of 0-6-0. S. W. Johnson, of the M.& G.N. Locomotive Dept., having used 0-6-0's of his own Midland design naturally recommended a further 12 at Joint Committee meeting in January 1900. Tenders were invited, but their consideration was postponed and later declined for at a meeting on 1st May the Committee was informed that the Great Northern had offered to transfer to the M.& G.N. 12 Standard Goods instead (which had formed part of an order placed with Dübs & Co. for 25 engines) at the contractor's price of £2,985 each.
Accepting the offer, the engines and tenders were delivered in October and November 1900, carrying Works numbers 3933-44, and painted in the standard yellow livery of the M.& G.N. The latter remained an independent concern until their activities were taken over as from 1st October, 1936 by the L.N.E.R., the Those built between 1873-79 retained to the end engines being entered into stock during 1937. Their numbers 81-92 were retained under the L.N.E.R., with a cypher prefix 0 added. It may be mentioned that under the 1946 re-numbering scheme they were allotted Nos. 4156-67 respectively, of which all except Nos. 4165/6 carried. Five engines survived nationalisation, all eligible for the B.R. addition of 60000 to their numbers, but only one (No. 64160) was so dealt with.
Performing much hard work over the Joint line which served many flat agricultural areas, their tendency to throw sparks in the process was soon challenged by the "Damage to Crops" Bill, so in 1907 they received extended smokeboxes incorporating spark arresters. The M.& G.N. rebuilt all twelve at Melton Constable Works in 1920-27 with larger 4ft. 8in. diameter boilers supplied by Doncaster and were classified DA Rebuild. Apart from different pattern boiler mountings and wheel and handle smokebox door fastenings, they resembled the G.N. Standard Goods rebuilt by Gresley. In 1935 the smokebox and chimney layout was redesigned and Nos. 84/6 were fitted with makeshift stovepipe chimneys of rolled steel plate. The remaining ten were scheduled to be similarly modified, except that stove-pipe chimneys were to be replaced by a cast-iron pattern of similar proportions. Nos. 81/3/8/92 subsequently received the redesigned smoke box and chimney layout and were given new boilers (supplied by Doncaster without mountings) in 1936, but absorption into the L.N.E.R. put a complete brake on the application of such modification to further engines.
At the take-over, ten engines with old boilers having non-standard mountings and tubes remained and these were scheduled for refitting by the L.N.E.R. The non-availability of new 4ft. 8in. diameter boilers was such that eventually only two engines (Nos. 086/81) were refitted, the other eight having to be fitted with 4ft. 5in. diameter boilers the only engines of this type ever to revert to the original size of boiler. The blastpipe and chimney had been, as customary, repositioned further forward when 4ft. 8in. boilers were fitted and this was not changed, resulting in the re-employment of extended smokeboxes. The last M.& G.N. survivor was No. 085, withdrawn as B.R. No. 64160 simultaneously with the last G.N. J5 engine of this type (both as L.N.E.R. J4's) in December 1951.
Wells, Alan. The Beyer Peacock 4-4-0s of the Midland and Great Northern Railway. Modellers Backtrack, 1992, 1, 272-80.
Lynn & Fakenham Railway 1881
William Adams (1823-1904). Trans. Newcomen Soc., 57, 125-46.
Shows that Adams was a consultant to the Lynn & Fakenham and was able to propose a suitable design for the cheaply built line.
Nos. 45 & 53 rebuilt with Belpaire boilers.
Midland & Great Northern Joint Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1910, 16, 182.
4-4-0 : Modifications to Nos. 24, 50 and 55 were recorded in contemporary literature.
[M & G.N.J.R. locomotives fitted with stovepipe chimneys after overhaul
at Derby]. Rly Mag., 1934, 74, 76. illus.
No. 55 is illustrated.
REBUILT four-coupled passenger engine, M. & G.N. Joint Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1932, 38, 384. illus.
No.50 was rebuilt at Melton Constable with a M.R. standard G6 Belpaire boiler and enlarged cab.
REBUILT 4-4-0 locomotive, Midland & Great Northern Joint Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1925, 31, 341-2. illus.
No. 24 was rebuilt with a Midland boiler, extended smokebox and new cab.
Webster, V.R. Unusual lineage
the Cornwall Minerals engines and their Great Western descendants.
Rly Wld, 1984, 45, 17-20.
Includes fairly brief description of the Sharp Stewart 0-6-0Ts designed by Francis Trevithick to operate back-to-back (includes illustration of one in that state): later some passed to Lynn & Fakenham Railway where they ran as tender tank engines and were subsequently rebuilt as 2-4-0s
Midland & Great Northern Joint Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev.,
1910, 16, 182.
Nos 9 and 20 at work.
See also Lefevre for origins of this type
Wells, Alan M. Mystery Photo and MR 0-4-4Ts. Br. Rly J. (9).
See also letter from Paul Lefevre on page 304 of Br Rly J. (8) which related to use of Midland Railway locomotives on MGNJR.
Referring to the 'A' tank class, the use of Great Northern drawings for the trailing axle was news to writer as he always understood that the London, Tilbury and Southend drawings were used for this purpose. They were officially 'rebuilds' but the Chief Draughtsman at Melton told writer they were new engines. Wells was unable to trace the type of boiler used and there is no indication on the General Arrangement drawings. The coupled wheelbase was longer than on the 'A' tender engines to accommodate a large firebox so that it would resemble a 'B' boiler as fitted to the inside cylindered engines. Presumably they were made at Melton as were the replacement boilers. He could not give reason for the cut down tanks, but Mr. Nash was an ex-Great Western man and that company made a practice of it. The driving position was bad in any case and the front lookouts could not be used for buffering up. No, 9 went to South Lynn in the early 1930s to get mileage in for cutting down the tanks and was used on the King's' Lynn to Spalding service. With that in mind she must have crossed the West Lynn bridge at least four times a day. He knew she was as built because he cleaned her several times. There is no record of an 'A' tank going to Bourne. When it was proposed, the foreman driver at Bourne (Dick Richards) protested because they were heavy on oil and the trailing axle tended to run hot when doing bunker first work and with twenty-eight miles each trip it would certainly have tested it.
Summerson's Midland Railway locomotives Volume 1 describes how four of the Hudswell Clarke 4-4-0Ts were loaned in exchange for three MR 0-4-4Ts and how the 4-4-0Ts were modified with mechanical push & pull gear for working the Harpenden to Hemel Hemstead branch. Some were renumbered and some were repaiinted in MR red.
Summerson's Midland Railway locomotives Volume 1 (pp. 101-2) notes how MR steam railcar No. 2233 was used briefly on the Cromer to Mundesley section from 1922.
Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway
Illustration is a plate in Ernest F. Carter's Britain's railway liveries (1952)
With two exceptions the locomotives used on this line in later years (i.e. after its purchase by the MR and LSWR) were Midland, or latterly LMS, standard designs. Until 1930, however, the line was maintained as a separate unit with its own locomotive repair works at Highbridge, and this independence was emphasised by the distinctive deep blue livery employed. Two classes were introduced to meet the railway's special requirements. These were some 2-8-0 freight engines and two 0-4-0T Sentinel shunters. The latter are treated with other Sentinel designs
The literature and images of the line are assessed in a thoughtful contribution by Neil Burgess in the defunct LMS Journal No. 38 p. 42 et seq
Ashford, E.C.B. Modern locomotives of the Somerset and Dorset Joint
Railway, 1900-1930. Rly Mag., 1931, 69, 235-45. 20 illus.
Atthill, R. The Somerset & Dorset Railway; with contributions by O.S. Nock. Newton Abbot (Devon), David & Charles, 1967. 200 p. + col. front. + 24 plates. 68 illus., (incl. 4 ports)., diagrs., 11 tables, 3 maps. Bibliog.
Austin, Stephen. Somerset & Dorset Railway Joint Railway: a view from the past. Shepperton: Ian Allan, 1999.
Errors in fact and judgement noted by Neil Burgess in the defunct LMS Journal No. 38 p. 42 et seq
Barrie, D.S. and Clinker, C.R. The Somerset & Dorset Railway. [1959?] (Oakwood library of railway history No. 6).
Bradley, D.L. and Minton, D. Somerset & Dorset locomotive history. Newton Abbot: David & Charles, 1973. 218pp.
D[ewhurst], P.C. L.M.S.R. locomotives: a history of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway. Loco. Rly Carr.Wagon Rev., 1938, 44, 18-21; 81-3; 157-9; 188-90; 254-6; 322-3; 349-51: 1939, 45, 18-20; 70-2; 133-6; 193-5; 249-51; 339-41: 1940, 46, 43-4; 122-3; 177-9; 231-2; 282-4; 311-14: 1941, 47, 8-9; 42-3; 59-61; 89-91. 81 illus. (incl. 2 line drawings: s. el.), diagr., table, map.
Modern locomotive practice, Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1941, 47, 196-9.2 illus.
A sequel to the series of articles by P.C. D[ewhurst].
Peters, Ivo. A reverie on the Somerset & Dorset. J. Stephenson Loco. Soc., 1955, 31, 160-3.
Ivo Peters was closely associated with visual images, both still and moving, of the railway. There have now (2004) been many books compiled under his name of his superb photographs, and many collections of his cine-images in various forms of video-format.
Radford, J.B. Derby Works and Midland locomotives: the story of the works, its men, and the locomotives they built. London: Ian Allan, 1971. 239pp. + plates.
Very important source: pp. 108-9 note the involvement of Derby Works from 1875 when the first engines were supplied by the Midland Railway to the Somerset and Dorset Joint Committee, the Locomotive Department of which became the responsibility of the Midland Company when the old Somerset and Dorset Compariy was leased jointly to the Midland and London and South Western companies for 999 years from November 1, 1875.
After the first Midland nominated Locomotive Superintendent, Mr W. H. French, who was appointed May 17, 1883, had lost his life at Highbridge after being crushed between two wagons, on November 1, 1889, Mr Alfred W. Whitaker took over, and it was he who instigated the supply of a number of Derby built "quality" locomotives to the line rather than those of outside contractors as supplied heretofore. He also undertook the rebuilding and re-equipping of the company's own shops at Highbridge. Whitaker was a former pupil of Matthew Kirtley, and had been in charge of the Midland locomotive depots at Carlisle and Leeds before moving to Highbridge in the November of 1889.
Somerset & Dorset locomotive stock. Rly Obsr, 1930, 2, 58. table..
Renumbering schedule, when the stock was amalgamated with the LMS.
Young, J.A. Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway. Rly Obsr, 1937, 9, 195-6; 223-6; 264-7;
316-18; 346-9; 379-80. 8 illus., table.
Includes a 1930 stock list.
Mineral engines for the Somerset and Dorset Joint Ry.
Locomotive Mag., 1914,
20, 117. illustration
2-8-0: No. 80 illustrated
Radford: In February 1914 the first of a new type of mineral tender locomotive with a 2-8-0 wheel arrangement was designed largely by James Clayton for the S&DJR for working freight trains over the Mendips with their harsh ruling gradients. These were the largest size of locomotive ever built by the Midland (with the exceptions only of the "Lickey Banker" and Paget's experimental engine). Unique for the MR at that time was the use of outside cylinders on a goods locomotive and these were 21in diameter x 28 in stroke at 6ft 8in centres. The coupled wheels were 4ft 7½ in diameter. Outside admission short travel piston valves, l0in diameter with a lap of 7/8in and having 1/8in inside clearance, were provided, operated by Walshaerts valve gear. A G9AS compound type boiler, set to work at 190psi by two Ramsbottom safety valves, and having a circular front tube plate carried a total heating surface of 1,618.75ft2,. The grate area was 28.4ft2, In all six of these engines were built to O/4209 between February and August, 1914, the tenders being built to O/4210, and the locomotives were numbered 80-85. Radford added that a heavier locomotive for S&DJR mineral traffic had been proposed as early as March 1907 when two preliminary designs for outside cylindered 0-8-0 tender engines weighing respectively 61½and 59½ tons in working order, had been drawn up. Standard Midland details were used throughout including the somewhat undersized Class 4F axleboxes. This basic design of 2-8-0 tender locomotive was considered as a goods engine for the Midland in July 1920, but with a maximum axle weight of 17 tons plus, the design was not submitted to the Civil Engineer on account of the excess weight.
The original design (1914) had a 4 ft 9 in boiler, but when additions to the class were made in 1925 a 5 ft 3 in boiler was used.
NEW freight engines, Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1925, 31, 337. illus.
NEW 2-8-0 locomotives, Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway. Rly Mag., 1925, 57, 454. illus.
2-8-0 type locomotives, Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway. Rly Engr. 1926, 47, 350-1. illus., diagr. (s. el.)
The Lambert patent wet sanding apparatus for locomotives.
Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1926,
32, 61-2. 2 diagrs.
Fitted to latest series of Somerset & Dorset Joint 2-8-0s.
pre-1932 : at least one locomotive was fitted with a Kylala blast-pipe un-titled reference : Rly Mag., 1932, 71, 307.
Retrospective and critical
Atkins, Philip. Some notes on the larger-boliered S&D
280 locomotives. Midland
Record, 2007 (24) 92-6. 7 illus., diagr. (s. el.)
Essery, Bob. MR tender weatherboards and store sheets. Part 1. Midland Record, (21) 87-95.
Essery, Bob. MR tender weatherboards and store sheets. Part 2. Midland Record, (22) 87-95.
Includes the special tender cabs fitted to SDJR 2-8-0s and to Lickey banker 0-10-0
Peters, I. The Somerset & Dorset 2-8-0s. Trains ill., 1956, 9, 160-6. 6 illus.
Postscript on the Somerset & Dorset 2-8-0s. Trains ill., 1956, 9, 595.
Addenda to Peter's article (above).
Reeves, John. LMS locomotive operating costs 1933-1935. Part 1 Freight tender engines. LMS Journal, (7),7-21.
Operating costs 1933-5: average annual mileage: 23573. Repair costs: 5.9 pence/engine mile; coal issued per engine mile 70.15lbs.
Strange, Richard. The S&D 2-8-0s at large. Steam Wld, 1996, (110), 44-7.
Use of class north of Bath mainly on the former Midland lines to Mangotsfield, Bristol and Avonmouth; also for servicing at Barnwood and for overhaul at Derby (one assisted Pines Express through to Birmingham)
Toop, R.E. The 2-8-0 locomotives of the Somerset & Dorset line. Rly Wld, 1957, 18, 282-4. 6 illus.
Groves Great Northern loocomotive history. v. 2 page 225 (footnote) notes how John Fowler constructed six standard Stirling 0-6-0s for the S&DJR in 1874: Nos. 19-24 where they were known as "Great Northern type". Nos 23-4 were supplied with domed boilers, but remainder were supplied domeless and were not rebuilt until 1888-93 with domed boilers.
Radford records that Derby supplied the Joint Committee with five of its standard 0-6-0 goods engines to O/1449 between January and March 1896: Nos 62-6. They had 5ft 2tin driving wheels and 18in x 26in cylinders and were fitted with 2,950gal tenders and had automatic vacuum train brakes. The boilers were set at 150psi.
Radford noted that the first Derby order for the S&DJR, O/872, was for four 4-4-0s: Nos 15-18, built in May 1891. The boilers were supplied by Kitsons and the 2,200gal tenders with outside springs above the platform plate were constructed in the S&DJR Committee's own workshops to O/873. They had 5ft 9in diameter driving wheels and two 18in x 24in inside cylinders were . Boiler pressure was 160psi. Further engines of this type followed: Nos 67 and 68 to O/1431 in January, 1896, and Nos 14 and 45 to O/1482 in January and February 1897. They were rather diminutive locomotives with Salter valves on the dome, inside cylinders and half cabs, but they were put to work on the main line trains now running faster with heavier loads and being too much for the 0-4-4 types used up to that date. The last two had steel boilers set at 150psi. Only three more of this wheel arrangement were built for this Committee in Johnson's time, these being Nos 69-71 built to O/2588 in 1903. These had 6ft driving wheels and 18in x 26in cylinders and were much larger engines.
Two further 4-4-0 passenger locomotives Nos 77 and 78, were built to O/3310 in 1907. These had 6ft driving wheels and 18in x 26in inside cylinders, and were generally similar to Nos 69-71 above. The round-topped boilers carried uncased Ramsbottom safety valves set to operate at 175psi. As new they went to Bournemouth on the fast passenger train workings through to Bath and back daily.
Braithwaite, Jack. Some notes on S.W. Johnson's 5ft 9in 4-4-0s for the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway. Midland Record (9), 61-6.
Nos. 17 and 18 were rebuilt with Belpaire boilers and enlarged cabs.
REBUILT four-coupled passenger engine, Somerset and Dorest Joint Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1932, 38, 120. illus.
Fly shunted 1: Somerset &
Dorset Railway 2-4-0 No.3. Rly Arch., 2006 (13) 58.
Supplied by George England in 1861 and photographed in 1862.
3F: standard LMS design (Fowler).
NEW tank locomotives, Somerset and Dorset Joint Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon
Rev., 1929, 35, 107. illus.