North Staffordshire Railway
Hollick, J.R and others
(Manifold). The North Staffordshire Railway: a history of the
line and its locomotives. Ashbourne: J.H. Henstock Ltd, 1952. 182pp.
+ plates (130 illus.) + folding diagrs.(maps, plans, gradient profiles).
Ottley 7168. The other authors were: C.A. Moreton, G.N. Nowell-Gossling, F.M. Page and W.T. Stubbs. The same pseudonym was used for a shorter book on the Leek & Manifold Light Railway. (Ottley 6220)
T.W. Dodds designs
See also biographical page
A somewhat diverse class as there were distinct differences between the products of the different suppliers. Nos. 74 and 75 were built at Stoke in 1871. WN Nos.642-51 were constructed by Vulcan in 1872 and received running numbers 104-113: these received the Dodds' wedge motion. WN 1348-53 were constructed by Beyer Peacock in 1874 and received running numbers 118-123. Finally, Nos 67 and 68 were built at Stoke in 1875; followed by 72 in 1876 and 77 in 1877. The Beyer locomotives had 24in stroke cylinders, whereas those from Vulcan had 22in. All had 5ft coupled wheels. Hollick
0-6-0 No. 66 probably at Crewe in Jeuda, Basil. Stoke Works. Rly Arch., 2002 (1), 82 middle
Sharp 4ft 6in engines: 1873-4
WN 2346-7 (RN 70 and 60); WN 2378-9 (RN 64-5); WN 2424-7 (RN 114-117). The first two were originally intended for the Furness Railway
Goods locomotives, North Staffordshire Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1910, 16, 24.
North Staffordshire Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1910, 16, 135.
No. 170 intended for through trains to Llandudno: side elevation.
No.23: 1922: Hookham
This four-cylinder locomotive has already been mentioned in the section
on 0-6-0 types in its rebuilt form. It was built to test Hookham's theories
on crank settings for four-cylinder designs.
FOUR-CYLINDER tank locomotive, North Staffordshire Ry.. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1923, 29, 1-4. illus., 3 diagrs. (mcl. s. & f. els.)
New four-cylinder tank engine, North Staffordshire Railway. J. Instn Loco. Engrs., 1922, 12, 732-4 + folding plate (general arrangement side elevation). 2 illus.
A NOTABLE four-cylinder 0-6-0 tank engine. Rly Mag., 1923,52, 122 + plate f.p. 89. illus., diagr.
Passenger tank locomotive, North Staffordshire Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon
Rev., 1910, 16, 274.
General arrangement drawings
Sekon (Evolution) p. 317-18 Longbottom 2-4-2T illus & main dim
p. 319-20: 2-4-0 6ft driving wheels
and 2-4-0T (Sharp Stewart 1874) now being rebuilt for half-hourly service on Hanley Loop with 1 in 40 gradienst
Of the ten engines ordered by the Furness Railway, but cancelled, two actually did run on FR metals; these were Nos. 120 and 121, delivered in 1884 and sold in 1887 to the Liverpool, Southport & Preston Junction Railway. They eventually passed to the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway when that company took over the L.S. & P.J.R. in 1897, but were scrapped without receiving the L. & Y. numbers allotted (1371/2). Of the other eight, two (Sharp Stewart 2339/47 of 1873) went to the Mid Wales Railway, eventually becoming Cambrian Railways 49 and 50 in 1888; two (Sharp 2342/6) became North Staffordshire Railway 69 and 70; two went direct to the Cambrian Railways (Nos. 14 and 15, Sharp 2511/3 of 1875); one to the Denbigh, Ruthin & Corwen Railway (Sharp 2510 of 1875), passing to the LNWR and finally to the Cambrian as No. 18; the last, Sharp 2512 of 1875, was sold by the makers to an unknown customer overseas.