Volume 23 (1962)
No. 261 (February 1962)
Norman Harvey, A great locomotive family: the L.M.S.
and B.R. 2-6-4 tank engines. Locomotive Causerie. 39-42.
See letter from Colin Churcher on page 179
Gordon Biddle. The railway monopoly at Coventry. 43-9.
S&D 2-8-0s Nos. 53804 and 53802 double head a Nottingham to Bournemouth train in July 1959 climbing out of Bath. Ivo Peters. 49
J.E. Kite. The North Eastern 'Tennant' class. 50-1.
Brief notes on the history of the 2-4-0 design and three photographs: No. 1477 at Barras on Penrith to Darlington train in 1927; No. 1477 at Barnard Castle in 1927 and Darlington in May 1927.
John R. Day. An Indian monorail: the Ewing system in Patiala. 52-3
Bruno Bonazzelli. Three-phase electrification in ItalyII. 54-60.
J. Spencer Gilks. This month's centenaries. 60-1+
G. Oates. The Axholme Joint Railway. 62-6.
W.J.K. Davies. Light railway notes. 67-9.
Preservation by Industrial Railway Society of Neilson WN 5087/1996 0-4-0ST originally from Beckton Gas Works then Southall Gas Works (low height for working with retort houses). Glyn Valley passenger rolling stock: illustrations, plans and drawing of clerestory coach, open coach and a closed coach which differed from remaining stock.
No. 264 (May 1962)
Cecil J. Allen. Half a century of rail travel. 3 Early days
on the Great Eastern. 148-51.
The Claud Hamilton class 4-4-0 was the major express motive power. Locomotives were built in batches of ten numbered backwards from the highest number. The T19 Hupty Dumpty 2-4-0 were used on the Cambridge main line, and were being rebuilt into 4-4-0s. The best rolling stock was used on the Harwich boat trains to connect with the steamships to the Hook of Holland. The premier services werethe 16.55 down to Cromer and the 17.00 to Yarmouth South Town. These returned at 08.00 and 08.20 respectively. Many trains carried through portions and there were about 22 slip coaches including ones for Hertford at Broxbourne; Audley End for Saffron Walden. The 15.20 from Liverpool Street included portions for Cromer, Loweestoft and Yarmouth. Water troughs assisted longer non-stop running. The fastest train to York took 5 hours 17 minutes. The Great Central provided a train betwen Manchester London Road and Norwich Thorpe.
M.C. Casson. The Warrington and Altringham Railway. 151-4.
Railway was promoted by Warrington business men ho sought better access to Manchester via the Manchester South Junction & Altringham Railway. The initial Act was approved on 3 July 1851 and the line opened on 1 November 1853. The opening of the Stockport Timperley & Altringham Railway with a junction at Broadheath both extended traffic possibilities but enabled competitors to access LNWR territory. On 13 August 1859 the LNWR absorbed the Warrington & Altringham Railway. The construction of the Manchester Ship Canal enforced a deviation at Latchford and some of the former line became part of the Manchester Ship Canal Railway.
G.M. Kichenside. Coaching stock of the London Tilbury & Southend
Line; incorporating notes by P.L. Paton. 156-7.
Photo-feature with linked extended captions: rebuilt jointly owned LTSR/District Railway as bogie coaches former four-wheelers made redundant by electrication in 1905; one of the Birmingham RC&W bogie corridor coaches used on Ealing to Southend through trains;
R.E.G. Read. The character of English station buildings. 158-61.
Salute to the Great Central "Directors". 162-5.
D. Bertram. The Stainmore route over the Pennines. 166-75 (K. Hoole. Pennine motive power of the past. 172-3)
Toram Beg. The engineman's lobby. 1. The steam and the grime and the grease. 175-7.
W.J.K. Davies. Light railway notes. 177-8.
J. Spencer Gilks. This month's centenaries.178.
1 May 1862: Pye Bridge to Clay Cross; Harrogate and Pateley Bridge
12 May 1862: Altringham to Knutsford
22 May Croes Newydd Junction to Brymbo
The L.T. & S. 2-6-4 tanks. Colin J. Churcher
Re L.M.S. and B.R. 2-6-4 tank engines. Last summer writer worked at Shoeburyness (L.T.S.) motive power depot and fired the Stanier three-cylinder and Fairburn two-cylinder varieties of the L.M.S. and also the standard type. The following notes may be of interest.
In general, the older L.T. & S. drivers seemed to prefer the three-cylinder engines, while the younger drivers and firemen preferred the standard engines. It is easy to see why the firemen like the standards. The rocking grates take much of the hard work out of cleaning the fire (he once put one away in 10-15min, with the driver's help) but difficulties may arise if a broken piece of brick arch gets stuck in the bars. Another advantage is that both steam and water controls for the two injectors are conveniently placed so that the fireman can set either injector without leaving his seat. On the other hand the standard engines have several disadvantages. Drivers complain that these engines are very hot. Several controls, blower, brakes, etc. are placed in between the drivtng position and the fire. The driver is further protected by a metal sheet which extends from the back-plate into the cab. It seems that these must absorb the heat from the fire to make the driver's position almost unbearable in summer, but he did not notice this from the fireman's side.
Another disadvantage was that the lookout was so placed that one had to crane one's neck all the time; this is paniculurly bad for the shorter drivers.
Perhaps the worst part of the standard 2-6-4 tanks was that there was an exposed steam pipe fixed to the boiler barrel in such a position as to appear to be a continuation of the hand railing. He had seen several nasty burns sustained by firemen when filling the tanks of these engines.
The L.M.S. engines did have their disadvantages. Only a few were fitted with rocking bars and so all the clinker has to come out through the firehole and the ash pan had to be emptied by hand, However, the general opinion seemed to be that a Starrier three-cylinder in good condition was equal, if not superior. to the other types. It seems sirmificnnt that as far as he knew the fastest train in between Southend and London, the 09.05. was never hauled by a standard. He personally preferred the Fairburn engines; the Staniers tended to throw the heat back more.
Lamp irons. J.H. Lucking
The letter from Mr. F. C. Le Manouals in February issue brought to mind another unusual case. Great Western pannier tank No. 3759, a Southern Region engine allocated to Weymouth. had been fitted with additional irons at the sides of the smokebox. giving six lamp positions, Southern style. But to accommodate Southern Rcuion lamps (rear socket) or Western (side socket) each position consisted of two pins at right-angles. There were twelve pins on the front of the engine. and twelve more on the bunker. With the addition of the usual three Western Region "spare" pins on the left-hand running plate the total became twenty-seven!
Spanish Railways . P. Ransome-Wallis
Re first part of. L.G. Marshall's articles on Spanish Railways: an error on page 84 the photograph of No, 240.2270 is described as a R.E.N.F.E. 4-8-0. It is, in fact, ex-M .Z.A. and one of the largest group of 4-8-0s built for the original railways. The numbers are 240.2241-2315, and 2336-2425, all built by La Maquinista in 1920-31. The weights and details vary with different batches and Nos, 2361-5 have Lenz o.c. poppet valves, while Nos. 2366-2425 have Dabeg. The engine shown in Marshall's picture has been converted to burn fuel oil, as have many of these engines, and it should therefore be described 240F,2270. The R.E.N.F.E. 4-8-0s all have steeply sloping running plates at the front end and I think all have smoke deflectors. Most of them have double chimneys and many burn fuel oil. These engines originated in 1935 with Andaluces Nos. 4251-55 (240,2476-80). The Oeste and the M.Z.A. also ordered engines of the same design, but they were not delivered until 1944. The R.E.N.F.E. took up the design as standard and built many more.
Another matter of interest concerns the picture on the same page of No. 241.2091. This locomotive is one of twenty fitted with Daheg valves. Six others have Lenz and the rest of the 95. piston valves.
No. 266 (July 1962)
B. Perren. The "Britannia" Pacifics leave the G.E. main lines.
A ten-year stint which brought Norwich to London timings to within what has been barely been improved upon by electric traction. Also brought far more frequent trains, including expresses routed via Cambridge. The main characteristics of the Britannia 4-6-2 locomotives are outlined.
W.H. Bett. Ticket spotlight. 221.
Interline Coupon Ticket issued for first-class return travel from Dalmuir to Innellan (only the railway portion from Dalmuir to Craigendoran Pier is shown). It was issued in 1 June 1935, but the printed portion dated back to North British Railway days and had been up-priced several times.
E.M. Patterson. The Donegal derailments. 222-6.
R.J. Marshall. The Great Western's underground station: Smithfield Goods Depot. 226-7.